Chapter 5

Warnings: Fight (not graphic), seijoh being lowkey crackhead pirates

"It's simple really, you," Oikawa pointed to a quivering Kindaichi, "Our dear Yuutarou, will fight our new friend," He turned and pointed to a stoic looking Kunimi "Akira, to the death~" Kunimi nodded in 'thanks' when Iwaizumi handed him a dagger, taking a ready stance in the makeshift ring as the rest of the crew gathered round the two.

Kunimi held the dagger as Ikkei had taught him, his focus was on Kindaichi, dark eyes focused and his breathing calm. "Begin!" Hanamaki yelled, and the fight was off. Kindaichi charged Kunimi, only for Kunimi to duck and step to the side, sweeping Kindaichi's leg as he did so. Kindaichi managed to regain his balance before he turned, swinging his blade towards Kunimi. Kunimi ducked backwards and dropped the dagger, choosing to instead grab Kindaichi's forearm, and twist until he had him face down on the ground, Kunimi's knee pressing down firmly on his back.

Oikawa sighed, resting his jaw on his fist as he leaned forwards, "It truly is a shame...Yuutarou was such a good crewmember...very well, go ahead and-" "I'm not killing him." The pirates eyes widened, Oikawa slowly sitting up before crossing his arms and looking down at Kunimi. "Oh? And what makes you think you're in any position to decide that?"

Kunimi looked Oikawa in the eyes, "Think about it...you don't want to kill this man but you don't want to seem weak either...The men who wanted violence got a fight...and the men who craved mercy will receive mercy...And you, you will receive two crew members opposed to just one." Oikawa's eyes widened as a smile grew on his face, "So you can fight and you're smart? Very well then. That settles it."

Oikawa stood and turned to face the rest of his crew, "Yuutarou lives, and hopefully this time he makes wiser decisions. And we welcome a new and dear crewmember, Akira." Kunimi stood before he turned towards Kindaichi and offered him his hand. Kindaichi took his hand, but before Kunimi could pull him up, Kindaichi stopped him with a determined glint in his eye. "As long as I live...I swear to be completely loyal to you! I am your man, forever, you can count on me!" Kunimi's eyes widened, before he nodded, motioning for Kindaichi to take his hand.

That was two months ago, and Kunimi and Kindaichi are still running with the pirates. Kunimi has since gotten to clean his appearance up, albeit not by much but it was a nice change. He had 1. Gotten a bath, 2. A small haircut, keeping his hair a little longer than it was before he got sent to prison, but shorter than it was after 13 years in prison. He had also gotten to shave his unruly beard.

After two months with the pirates, Kunimi had acquired enough money to return to his home, Marseilles. Kindaichi of course willingly going with him. Kunimi waved goodbye to the group of pirates, Kindaichi waving bye as well. "So this is your home, huh?" Kunimi nodded, "It was...I haven't been here in, 13 years?" Kindaichi's eyes widened. He had heard the story of how Kunimi had ended up on the beach that day (and subsequentially saved his life), but seeing as he was born in a land far from France, he could not place any pictures to the places he was hearing of.

Kunimi and Kindaichi walked around the town for awhile, before Kunimi heard "Can I help you sir?" Turning around, Kunimi was met with Nobuteru Irihata, the owner of the shipping company he used to work for, his old boss. Kunimi was about to say hello when he realized something...Irihata didn't recognize him, he didn't know who he was. But it's not like he could blame him, it had been 13 years since Kunimi had been in Marseilles, 13 years since anyone had seen or heard from him.

"I hope so, I'm looking for someone, a Y/n L/n?" Irihata's eyes widened, "If it's her hand you're after, I am afraid you're many years too late. But if you still wish to see her, you can find Y/n Shirabu." Kunimi felt his heart drop from his chest, he shakily gulped as he struggled to maintain his composure. "They married?" Irihata slowly nodded, "They did. Had a child shortly after as well. I never thought it was right. She was previously engaged you know, Akira Kunimi...they were a fine match but, he died..."

Kunimi shifted, straightening his back out to hide his pain, "How, did he...die." Irihata's face showed one of sorrow, "They say he was thrown from the cliffs, resisting arrest for a crime that...that I refuse to believe he committed. He may have been young, and a little naïve, but he had a good heart. A good head on his shoulders as well...he had a future. And it was taken from him by his closest friend and shipmate." Raising an eyebrow, Kunimi tilted his head, eyes slightly narrowing, "Which shipmate..?"

Irihata sighed, arms crossing in front of his chest, "I do not know why you're so interested in a dead man, but it's no bother to me. I want those scumbags dead for what they've done. It was Kenjirou Shirabu and Shigeru Yahaba...although I suspect the magistrate was involved as well..." Kunimi slowly nodded, "I see..." Irihata looked back at Kunimi, a serious glint in his eye, "Were you a friend of Akira's?" Kunimi looked at him, "He was...a relative." Irihata nodded, "Avenge him...he was a good man, make sure his death was not for nothing." Kunimi nodded, eyes hard and heart cold, "I assure you, the people who wronged Akira Kunimi will be punished."

Walking side by side, Kunimi and Kindaichi made their way down the pier, walking back to the boat they came on. Kindaichi stole glances at Kunimi, trying to read what his friend was thinking, or rather feeling. "So...what now? I mean, coming back to Marseilles and finding Y/n was what you planned..." Kindaichi spoke, turning his head to watch Kunimi's expressions. "...when Ikkei died, he gave me a map....a map to the treasure of Nekoma. That's where we're going. And when we have the treasure, we'll establish ourselves in Parisian society, make names for ourselves and then..." Kindaichi raised an eyebrow, "Then...?" Kunimi's eyes narrowed, he and Kindaichi came to a stop at the end of the pier, looking out over the water. "Then I take revenge on all who have wronged me."