four

She found herself locked in the gaze of troubled blue eyes from across the room, and nostalgia exploded across her forehead. Suddenly Bruce wasn't Gotham's White Knight, or the man who showed up in her office every few months, boasting about trivial things his company had done before whisking away to a car full of women. Meredith was good at forgetting about the past— not like she particularly wanted to remember it, anyway— but at that moment, he looked every bit the boy she used to know. Face wound up tight with concern, mouth parted slightly, and worry in his brow.

She didn't know what her face must've looked like, but it was enough to snap Bruce back into character. He reached over the table and grabbed the blonde's hand, pulling her up and out of her chair. Meredith looked back to Lois, only to find an empty seat in front of her. She turned to see the reporter sprinting after the crowd of people desperately trying to make it to the elevators.

She huffed, pushing herself from her table and heading after Lois, grabbing her by the wrist and dragging her back through the butler doors of the kitchen. Lois looked startled, but didn't put up a fight.

"Where the hell are we going?" Lois questioned as Meredith marched past chefs and waiters, all too busy running around to notice the two women.

Meredith pulled her around a corner down a small hallway, before stopping and hitting a button on the wall. "Service elevator."

"How did you know this was here?" Lois' face was unreadable as the doors slid open and they stepped in.

"We're forty-three floors in the air," Meredith replied as the elevator started taking them to the ground level. "In Metropolis, a city with men who like to level skyscrapers for fun. You think I don't know all the ways out of this place?"

Lois nodded, seeming impressed. She then got another notification on her phone and her eyes widened. "Trouble downtown, Superman just arrived on the scene. A car is outside waiting for me, you in?"

Meredith paused, slightly shocked at the offer. She had never been one to run face-first into danger unless it was a risky business deal. She heard about Lois' job, and the woman seemed to have no issue throwing herself in harm's way to get a good story, especially if it involved heroes. Meredith supposed she technically was going to make a business deal with Superman, and this certainly fell under the category of risky, so theoretically it was okay for her to go.

"Uh, sure."

She didn't have time to slap herself for the unpolished response as the doors opened and Lois was running out into the lobby through crowds of terrified people. Meredith followed her as they burst through the big glass doors and saw a white van parked on the curb. The driver, a young, red-headed man, expectantly stared at them as he leaned over and opened the sliding door to the back.

Lois hopped in without second thought, and Meredith almost had one foot in the car before a rough hand was around her wrist, tugging her back. She turned her head over to find Bruce, who was giving her a look that said he definitely thought she was out of her mind.

Meredith scrunched her brows in confusion. There was a massive crowd waiting at the elevator doors upstairs, and there's no way he could've run down forty-three flights of stairs in that amount of time. How the hell did he get there so fast? And where was his date?

"What are you doing?" he asked sharply, tightening his grip on her.

It was her turn to stare at him like he was crazy. "What are you doing?"

"Sorry, Meredith," Lois said from inside the van as she strapped herself in. "No time. We've gotta go. I'll let Supes know you're looking for him, though."