forty two

20 YEARS EARLIER

Meredith hated waiting.

She was a woman of efficiency and timeliness. She needed answers, and she needed them right when she asked the questions.

Hospitals, for lack of a better word, totally sucked in regard to efficiency and timeliness.

She stared at the small TV sitting in the waiting room across from her. It was fuzzy and sad, which also seemed to be the theme throughout the rest of the building. Though, somehow, the words on the screen were clear as day.

ELIAS INC. CLOSES NEW 20M FACILITY DEAL IN TAIWAN!

Meredith scoffed, shoving her hands into the long pocket of the only hoodie she owned, used solely for when she needed to be incognito.

"Idiots..." she muttered.

A phone ringing caught her attention. She watched the snobby hospital receptionist answer it, which had Meredith immediately out of her chair and at the desk once again.

"Hey," Meredith snapped.

The man paused speaking, looking perpetually annoyed.

"When I say I need to see my father now, I mean now, not in three hours."

"Hold, please," the man spoke into the phone before setting it down. "Listen, Kid. I told you no one was available to take you up."

"And I told you I don't care. I'm Meredith Elias and I don't wait around."

"I don't care who you—"

Meredith spun around and marched past the desk towards the elevators.

"Hey!" The man yelled. "Don't let her up! She has no clearance!"

Just when a nearby security guard was about to grab her arm, Meredith glared at the receptionist. "Do you like your job?"

The man was silent, save for a dirty look.

"I'll take that as a yes," Meredith seethed. "Let's keep it that way."

The guard slowly released her arm, and Meredith huffed, straightening herself out. She walked into the elevator, giving the glaring receptionist a smug look as the doors slid shut.

When they opened, Meredith stepped into a starch-white hallway, littered with a few nurses milling around in pale blue scrubs. It smelled stale and unnaturally clean, as a hospital did, and she walked to a room with the label 214 on the wooden door.

Meredith pushed the doorknob with one hand and tugged down the hood of her sweatshirt with the other.

In the middle of the room, surrounded by wires and cords and IV lines, two blue eyes peeled open.

She slid into the room, closing the door behind her as her father's lips pulled into a small smile.

Gregory looked weak. Frail. Little tufts of hair starting to fall out on the sides of his head and withered skin. Meredith twisted her brows and ignored the pain in her chest at the sight.

She tried desperately to hold herself together, as she always did, flippantly waving her hand and striding across the room to the window. "Can you believe those idiots? Twenty million to Taiwan? We care sooo much about what's best for the company—" Meredith mocked, turning around with her hands resting on the sill. "Such bull! That lousy excuse for a board of directors only cares about themselves!"

Gregory stared at her with what she took as sympathy, except it couldn't be sympathy because Gregory Elias didn't sympathize with people, especially when talking about the trajectory of his own business—

Poker Face | Bruce Wayneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें