thirty seven

21 YEARS EARLIER

"Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly present to you, this year's graduating class of Gotham Academy!"

A sea of navy blue grad caps was thrown into the sky.

Bruce squinted through the bright rays of sun, trying to keep track of his, but was abruptly interrupted by a blond mass tackling him into a hug.

The Son of Gotham stumbled backward. "Oliv—"

"I'm an emotional wreck, Bruce!" Oliver Queen cried dramatically. "High school's officially over! What the hell are we supposed to do with the rest of our lives?!"

"You're a billionaire. Go own a company or sit on a beach or something."

Oliver pulled back with a sudden blank face. "You know... that's actually a good point."

Amidst the chorus of cheers, a feminine voice spoke from behind them. "How about college?"

They tilted their heads in the direction of the voice to see a smiling Meredith dressed in a navy gown over her black fitted dress.

"Mare!" Oliver let go of Bruce to greet the girl similarly. "Congrats!"

"You too, Queen," she chuckled before slinking out of the blond's hold.

Bruce raised a brow at her as she approached him. "I hate to disappoint you, but I don't think higher education's in my future."

Meredith playfully rolled her eyes, pressing up slightly and placing a kiss on his cheek. "I figured. I'll do enough higher education for the both of us."

"Gross," Oliver groaned from behind them. "You two really need to— holy shit, dad! Mom!"

Bruce watched the blond take off in a sprint to a waiting Robert and Moira Queen with open arms. The couple beamed excitedly.

"I thought you guys weren't gonna be able to make it!" Oliver exclaimed as he was buried in a hug. Bruce's heart sank at the sight. "You told me your flight got delayed!"

"We figured we'd surprise you," Robert explained, turning his gaze up. "Bruce, Meredith! Congratulations!"

Bruce pressed his lips into a thin smile, letting Meredith be the one to respond.

She offered a small wave. "Thank you, Mr. Queen."

Bruce watched the couple continue to fuss over their son, who was laughing brightly and talking at a million miles an hour. Bruce knew Oliver was always brimming with stories to tell his parents, given how little Oliver saw them.

A hand was suddenly in his, and Bruce looked down to see that it was Meredith's. She smiled softly once again. "Don't look so sad, today's supposed to be a happy day."

"I know." He squeezed her hand slightly, biting his lip. "I just wish they were here."

She nodded sympathetically. "I know."

Bruce appreciated that she didn't say anything else. Meredith was good about things like that.

"Oh my God, Shortstack!"

Bruce barely had time to drop her hand and turn around before he was pulled off of his feet into another crushing hug. Once he realized who it was, he couldn't help but crack a smile— he hadn't seen Devin in months.

"Dev— okay! Devin—"

"You look so much older than the last time I saw you! And now you're a graduate and you're all grown up and, Jesus Christ, you're heavy, what the hell have you been eating? Is that facial hair I see? Have you gone through a second puberty?"