sound

The sound of my heart pounding in my ears drowned out every other sound in the room.

What did Fluke mean? "Who are you?" There was no way he actually meant it, was there?

I could feel panic starting to rise as I took his hand in mine.

"Fluke, it's me. It's Ohm. Please remember me." I fought back the tears as I searched his face for any sign of recognition at all. Fluke looked back up at me with a puzzled look on his face.

"Do we know each other?" he asked, looking from me to Earth.

"Fluke, Ohm is your partner. Do you remember where we all work together?" Earth asked, placing a hand on Fluke's other arm.

Fluke closed his eyes, his face scrunched up in pain. "I...I can't remember."

I felt one tear escape my eyelids, and then another and another. I could now imagine the pain Fluke went through those months I had lost my memories. The thought of my partner, my love, forgetting everything about us was unbearable.

"Fluke," I croaked out as I brushed a stray piece of hair from his forehead with shaking fingers. I couldn't speak, couldn't think. "I love you, Fluke. Please remember," I pleaded.

I couldn't make out the expressions flashing across his features as he slowly reached toward my face...and popped me on the back of the head.

"That's for not telling me you had your memories back for a whole week," Fluke said, poking me in the chest.

I let out a shaky breath and an overwhelming wave of relief rushed over me as I eagerly pulled Fluke into my embrace, ignoring Earth's howls of laughter from the other side of the bed.

"Owowowow!" Fluke hissed in pain and I immediately released him.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Fluke! I almost forgot the doctor said you have a couple cracked ribs, a concussion, and some severe bruising but it should heal with some rest."

Fluke was silent for a minute. "Is it...is everything over?" he asked looking slightly worried, to which I responded by giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Yes, everything is over," I smiled down at him. 

Kao shifted in his chair to lean toward Fluke, pushing his rectangle glasses up the bridge of his nose. "B and his accomplices have all been taken into custody and the thumb drive submitted into evidence. Things could have gone much worse if it hadn't been for you and your quick thinking."

"I was running on pure adrenaline and fear," Fluke chuckled. "It was something I never wish experience again." 

I ran my thumb across his cheek. "Me, neither." I stole a soft kiss from Fluke's forehead. "It was the scariest moment of my life," I said, softly, a tear sliding down my face.

"Don't cry," Fluke cooed with a smile as he caught my tear with his thumb. He gently pulled me down to press his lips to my tear-stained cheek. "It's okay. I'm here now. We're both here. We're both safe now," he whispered against my skin. 

I turned his face to mine and caught his lips with my own, tasting the saltiness of our tears mixed together. The kiss wasn't hungry or desperate, like our kiss when I regained my memories, but slow and tender, overflowing with love. A love both of us were afraid we had almost lost, making it that much more precious.  

"Oi! Get a room!" Earth exclaimed, bursting our moment. 

"Says the man who is constantly glued to his husband," Fluke said, sticking his tongue out at Earth.