Too Close

Isabelle

***

Isabelle missed her father. She missed her mother. She missed the love she got from them, the fun times they had together, their gentle hugs and genuine laughs. She missed feeling like she belonged.

She missed them.

Though she was waited on hand and foot, Isabelle was never hungry. She never wanted to take walks outside and get some fresh air. Though Louis and Gabrielle were lovely and sweet and so kind, she was lonely and depressed. Her black mourning dresses now hung loosely on her and her bright eyes were dulled, the dark circles under them distracting. Her cheeks were starting to look a little sunken.

She was tired. She was lonely. She was desolate.

She missed her parents.

***

Louis

***

Louis was glad he'd brought Isabelle to live with him. Though his images of her singing and humming and filling his house with joy had proved false, he was relieved she lived here- he was afraid she would be dead, otherwise. 

He had to supervise her meals and he sent servants to check on her regularly, but not bother her. She was too skinny and too tired. He was afraid that, even though she was well cared for, she would lose her will to live pretty soon.

He needed to help her.

***

December came.

When Isabelle joined Louis and Gabrielle for breakfast one morning, her modest dress was so loose that it nearly exposed her shoulders. Her collar bones were visible, protruding sharply from her delicate skin. 

Louis knew he had to get her out of the house today.

"Belle," he began.

She looked up at him.

"Are you going to eat breakfast?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I'm afraid I have no appetite this morning."

"I'm sure it tastes lovely, though. Thank you, Monique," she said to the chef that removed her plate.

Monique smiled and hurried out of the room.

"I'm not eating this morning, either," he said, pushing his plate away. "Monique, send someone to watch Gabrielle today. Isabelle, go grab your coat."

She raised her eyebrows. "I-"

"No objections. Go put it on."

Isabelle sighed and rose from the table. He watched as she reluctantly headed for the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Gabrielle asked.

"I'm going to take Belle somewhere and cheer her up."

~~~~~~~~

Louis led Isabelle through the garden, past the thicket of trees, all the way to the frozen lake at the edge of his property. 

"What are we doing?" Isabelle asked.

"We're having fun," he replied.

Before she could reply, he'd thrown a snowball at her.

***

Isabelle

***

The snowball hit her right in the shoulder. The icy snow soaked her sleeve. Her mouth dropped open. Before she could protest, another hit her, this time in the stomach.