Friends

Louis

***

Laying in bed all day was tortorous. The only thing that kept Louis sane was the sound of Belle's soft humming. The sound echoed through the little house, floating under the crack at the bottom of the door and filling the cozy bedroom. 

So while Belle did whatever it was she was doing, Louis sat up in bed, eyes closed and ears straining to hear every beautiful note. He thought of her.

She'd been extremely kind to him, and he would have to find a way to pay her back. Plus, he would like to see her again after he left. He felt drawn to her. He remembered his early promise of not caring and decided that he could not simply avoid her- he would be her friend.

After that was settled, Louis thought of Gabrielle. He wondered if she would look the same: dark springy curls, eyes as dark his  his, minus the gold specks, an adorable button nose and dimples. She was so cute. He couldn't wait to see how she'd grown. He knew she would remember him, but he was anxious to see if she missed him as much as he missed her.

So he would leave with Gabrielle as soon as he could- but he would return to see Belle again.

***

Isabelle

***

Louis was deep in thought when Isabelle cracked the door open.

"I'm interrupting, aren't I? I'm sorry," she apologized, backing away from the door.

"No, not at all!" he exclaimed. "Please, come in. It's your room, anyway."

She closed the door behind her and perched on the edge of the bed. He sat up straighter.

"I thought I would check the wound and come keep you company," she explained.

"That sounds very nice to me."

She smiled at him and gently moved the sheets away from his leg. She'd cut the leg off of the pants so he could stay mostly covered and they could avoid as much awkwardness as possible. 

She unwrapped the bandage and checked the wound. It looked less aggravated and red, and she'd stopped infection from setting in. She told him as much while she reapplied medicine and rewrapped it.

"When will it be healed?" he asked.

"A week, possibly. You can leave tomorrow if you'd like, but I'll have to remove your stitches next week."

She saw the corners of the scarf move and wondered if he was smiling. "I can come back in a week."'

The thought of seeing him again made Isabelle happy, for some reason. She supposed it was nice to have a friend who was just as odd as she was, with the scarf and cloak and all.

"Where were you traveling?" she asked.

He was silent. She wished she could see his face. 

Finally, he answered her. "I came to find my little sister."

Her heart warmed. "Where is she?"

His voice took on an excited tone. "I'm quite positive she's in this village. With an elderly couple. They took her in."

Isabelle's eyebrows rose. Surely it was't the sweet little Gabrielle that the Francois family adopted?

"Jacqueline and Frederick?" she asked. "Francois?"

"That's them! You know them?"

Isabelle smiled sadly. "I do. The sweetest people I"ve ever met. They love Gabrielle very much."

She was saddened that they would have to give her up. Gabrielle was their whole world. She would have to start visiting them again and bringing them bread to cheer them up. Before they adopted her, Isabelle visited them twice a week to keep them company. They would be so sad and lonely when Gabrielle was gone...she would visit three times a week.

She was happy for Louis and Gabrielle, but she could feel more stress being added to the already heavy weight on her shoulders.

His eyes tightened at the corners. "Your eyes are sad," he told her.

She shook her head. "I'm not sad. I'm happy for you. I was just worrying about the Francois's."

He sighed. "They really love her?"

"They do. Gabrielle has not been lacking love, I can assure you. I'm sure she misses you, though, and it is best for her to be with her brother. I will go and visit the family to keep them company."

Louis's eyes softened. They were very expressive, something Isabelle liked very much about him. "You are a very kind person, Belle."

She blushed at the compliment and the nickname. "Thank you."

"What else don't I know about you?" Louis asked.

"There is a lot you don't know about me, Mr. Chaput."

His eyebrows raised. "Do tell."

And so they talked until dinnertime. 

***

Louis

***

Learning about Isabelle- her kindess, her odd love of reading and learning, her unique dedication to those she loved- made Louis like her even more. 

She never once asked about his cloak and scarf, and for that Louis was more grateful than he could express to her. It meant a lot to know that someone could simply befriend him because of who he was and not worry incessantly about seeing his face and knowing why he wore what he did.

They stopped talking only when Belle's father came in to check on them. Louis knew it was improper for an unwed girl and a bachelor to be unsupervised, especially when there was no one else in the house, but Monsieur Baudin didn't seem to mind.

His trust in Belle made her that much more wonderful. And she had chosen to befriend Louis. Louis Chaput, the poor kid who's father abused him and who had to recover before he could get on with his life; Louis Chaput, the mysterious bachelor that had no one and barely stayed in his home; Louis Chaput, the strange man who everyone wanted to figure out. Not to know him, but to say they had conquered the walls he built. The thought of having such a lovely, wonderful girl take an interest in him made him feel warm in a way that nothing in his life ever had.

Louis wanted to leave...but he found himself wanting to stay.