Hope

Isabelle

***

Jacques was wonderful to Isabelle. He did anything she asked of him and never expected anything in return. And, where most men would take advantage of their time unchaperoned, he was a perfect gentelman. 

She found herself wondering why he was so kind, when he knew she could never repay him.

He came to the cottage one day for lunch, and Isabelle cooked his favorite foods. They sat at her two-seater table and admired the scenery though the window as they ate.

He broke her reverie.

"Isabelle?"

"Yes?"

"I don't want to make you feel compelled to do anything or rush you, but..."

He stopped and took a deep breath. His cheeks were uncharacteristically pink. Isabelle felt her own  cheeks heat up and her heartbeat quicken as her stomach dropped. This could not be happening.

"I've come to realize that I'm getting older, and you're getting older...and I can take care of you if you wish. I know you're in love with Chaput, and that's quite alright with me. I just want you to know that I'm here when you get over him. I'm willing to wait. And if you want to have the security of marriage...you only have to say so."

He was looking at her earnestly now, and she knew that he'd fallen in love with her. She could see it in his eyes.

She avoided his gaze, a feeling of guilt plaguing her like it never had before.

He'd been so wonderful, but she just couldn't return those feelings. Louis Chaput would always be in the back of her mind. That just wasn't fair to Jacques. He deserved someone who could love him with all of her heart.

"Jacques, you are so kind. I could never repay you for anything." 

She smiled at him sadly before continuing.

"But I just...I could never love you the way you deserve to be loved. Please, don't do this. You deserve so much better than me."

He rose and knelt by her side, grasping her hand. 

"I cannot do any better than you, Isabelle. You are so beautiful and selfless. You are a man's dream. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Louis Chaput is a fool. And you  deserve better than him. Please, Isabelle, just hear what I'm saying. Think about it before you reject me completely," he implored.

She looked into his pleading eyes and felt herself caving. She couldn't break his heart. Not right now.

"I will think about it, Jacques."

He jumped up, his smile victorious.

"But please do not get your hopes up."

He sat back down at the table.

"Thank you, Isabelle."

She smiled, but it was forced. She suddenly felt very uneasy; like both of them were going to get extremely hurt very soon.

***

Louis

***

It was May, and Louis had not found Isabelle. 

He searched for her endlessly, even going as far as to hire investigators. He was scarcely home, a fact that he and Gabrielle both hated.

He thought about giving up after each failed attempt at finding Isabelle, but he just couldn't. He would picture her smile, her kind eyes, her beautiful face...and he would fall in love all over again.