Longing and Loss

Isabelle

***

Isabelle picked up life like Louis Chaput was never there. His departure was so hasty and rude it brought tears to her eyes. She hadn't been able to contain them, then it got her thinking of her mother, and before she knew it she was kneeling in front of the dead rosebush, wondering why she couldn't do anything right and nobody stayed.

She guessed she was so upset because Louis was the first person besides her father that she'd been close to since her mother died, and he left her like she meant nothing.

She told herself that if she meant nothing to him, he meant nothing to her.

So what if she'd let him in and it hadn't meant anything to him? She was perfectly fine before he came along, anyway.

Her days were filled with so much work that she barely thought of him, anyway...until she sat down at the table, or went into her room, or tried to sleep at night...

***

Louis

***

Gabrielle loved the house. She made herself right at home, instantly winning over the heart of every last servant. She'd missed Louis as much as he'd missed her, and their relationship had picked up right where it left off when they were separated. 

He read her bedtime stories, had the chef cook whatever she desired for every meal, played hide and seek with her, walked with her through the rose garden, and gave her piggy back rides. They were happy.

And then there were the thoughts of Isabelle.

Every time Louis sat down for a meal, he remembered the dinner he'd eaten with her, the breakfast he'd skipped out on, her dejected face; every time he laid in bed, he remembered staying in her room, her kindness, their conversations and her smiling face; every time he closed his eyes, he saw hers. 

He missed her. 

Whenever he let himself admit that he missed her, he pictured her face when he took off that morning, her shoulders shaking as she knelt on the ground in front of those dead flowers.

Yes, he missed her. But now it was too late. 

***

Isabelle

***

Isabelle woke up before dawn the morning Louis was supposed to return. She hadn't slept well and knew that there was no chance of her getting any more sleep, so she got up to check on her father. He'd been feeling sick lately.

She lit a candle and tiptoed to his bedroom door. Usually she could hear snores, but it was strangely silent.

Her heart stopped and her stomach turned as she quickly pushed the door open. 

Her father was very still.

Hands shaking, eyes filling with tears, Isabelle dropped the candle and ran to her father's bedside. He was cold, his chest still.

He'd been gone for a while.

She stared at her father's body and collapsed onto the bed, clutching his hands. "Father, please," she begged. "Please wake up."

But there was no reply.

Isabelle was truly all alone.