Latoya

[The rain was falling'
Slowly and sweetly
And stinging my eyes and I could not see ... that
He became my voodoo priest
And I his faithful concubine, oh

WIDE OPEN!
WIDE!
The Mistake was made
Love. . . slipped from my lips
Dripped down my chin
And landed in his lap, and
Thus became
Brand New
What was I to do?]

I listened to the words flow from Jill Scotts mouth softly as the saxophone played. The crowd was tuned in, but I couldn't focus because There was this guy at a nearby table staring me down. I couldn't lie, he was so fine. Light skin brother with long healthy dreads and a trimmed beard. He was wearing a blue buttoned-down dress shirt with some black slacks and black suede loafers to match.

I smiled at him and turned away as he continued to stare and focused my attention back to Jill and my date. I was out with my boyfriend, Ronald, of two years. I didn't want him to catch me staring and cause a scene. Our relationship wasn't on the best terms.

"Would you like more water ma'am?" the waitress asked me as she did her rounds to each table.

I replied "yes please" while making room for her to pour into my glass.

The food here is to die for. I ordered some chicken alfredo pasta with a side of broccoli. 

Ronald grabbed a napkin to clean the sauce off my mouth causing me to flinch.

"ouch, Ronald I got it. Thanks though" I told him as I took the napkin.

"A nigga can't never do shit nice for you. All the fuck you do is complain" he said through clenched teeth.

"can you please calm down?" I replied as I looked around and noticed a few people seen that Ronald was getting upset.

I don't know why the hell he's acting like he don't know why my mouth is hurting. As if he didn't just punch me in my mouth this morning. My lip was swollen bad up until a few hours ago, so he decided to take me out to this poetry joint thinking it would change anything. I wish he would understand that a date will not change how he treats me.

Once upon a time I loved Ronald with everything in me. There was nothing I wouldn't do for him. Between his anger, the lies and the cheating, I just can't do it anymore. At this point I just want him out of my life completely, but my heart wasn't making that easy for me.

"oh, now you are telling me to calm down like I'm the problem?" Ronald said as stood up and slammed his hands onto the table making it shake.

I grabbed his hands "baby please."

"nah, fuck this and you." He said before storming out of the building.

Everyone was staring at our table. I was embarrassed, so I ran outside to catch a fresh breath of air. The light skin guy who was staring me down followed behind me.

"Hi beautiful, are you okay?" he asked looking over at me crying.

I replied "yes, I am fine."

"you didn't deserve to be treated that way back there" He said extending his hand to me "I'm john. You are?"

"I'm Latoya" I said shaking his hand.

John smiled "okay I see. A pretty name, for a pretty lady."

I laughed "thank you. I needed that."

John and I spoke for a few hours getting to know one another since Ronald was nowhere in sight. John was thirty, which is six years older than me. He had no kids and was a high school history teacher.

I asked "so, what school do you work at? If I may ask."

He replied "I teach at Miami Killian senior high school. Where do you work?"

I answered "well, I currently work at the Miami airport doing transportation security."

"currently?" he asked.

"yes. I will be graduating college soon to become a registered nurse" I said proudly.

"That's what's up beautiful. Well, it is getting late. Would you like a ride to your destination?" he asked.

I told him "I will be staying at my mom's house tonight, so yes that's fine."

We conversated more as he drove me home. John seemed like a cool guy, and I wouldn't mind getting to know him. We exchanged numbers and said our goodbyes before I went into the house. Ronald called and texted me all night, but I ignored him. I did not want him messing up my mood. I thought about John all night until I fell asleep.