Chapter One

Chapter One

Demi sighs and shuts the door of her car. She manages to smile and gracefully walks to stage nine. She opens the door to the set and greets everyone she.

"Hey!" Sterling sets his water bottle down as Demi greets him.

"Hello, beautiful." Sterling smiles and gives her a quick peck with a hug.

"You didn't come home yesterday. I was worried."

"I'm so sorry. I forgot to call. I crashed in my dressing room. We were taping until four in the morning."

"That's good to know. Are you still filming now?" Demi asked feeling her phone vibrate but she ignored it.

"Only two more scenes for me. I'll come home in a few hours and I hope to see you there." He kisses her forehead and heads to the set.

Demi sighs and sees that Miley has texted her. "Emergency. Meet me at the mall in five," it says. Demi brushes her fingers through her hair and heads to her car without turning to glance at Sterling.

~~~

"What is so important that I had to come in impossibly five minutes?" Demi meets up with Miley under a Starbucks Coffee canopy.

"I don't have clothes for Rio." Miley responds. She stands up from her chair and struts into the mall. Demi shakes her head in disbelief but continues to follow her.

"How does this look?" Miley asks holding up a two piece swimsuit.

"Slutty." Demi says without looking and continuing to shuffle through the rows of summer clothing.

Miley rolls her eyes and returns the two piece on the rack. "You're in a bitchy mood."

"My boyfriend's being a douche."

"I told you that, especially right after the part when I told you I slept with him and he left the next morning two months before you were dating."

Demi halts her searching and stares at Miley. "No, Miles. You left the next morning."

"Same exact thing." She says going on to the next rack.

Demi stays in her spot. "Actually, no it's not." She says following her a few seconds later.

"Have you told him about Rio?"

"No."

"Demi..."

"He never has the time to talk. I can't just go up to him and say, 'hey, I'm going to Rio next month and I'm gonna leave your ass in North America'."

"What?...You mean he's not coming?"

"He would want to but he has a movie to film." Demi says holding up a two piece for Miley's approval. Miley shakes her head negatively. She spots a guy across the shop who is staring at her. She smiles at him and as he smiles back. Demi notices them. "You were totally picturing you and him having sex right now."

"Yup, and on that check-out counter."

Demi shivers in disgust and faces away from Miley and looks through the other shelves.

~~~

"Demi! It's two weeks before Rio and you haven't mentioned anything." Miley says crashing on Demi's her couch.

"As I said before, he's very busy." Demi opens pop bottles and a large bag of chips. She sits next to Miley and switches the television.

"When exactly are you planning to tell him?"

"When it's the right time." Demi eats a chip and stares at the television.

"When?"

Demi retracts her gaze from the screen. "I don't know Miley, okay? It's been a very hard past three weeks. The longest he's stepped in this house was for six hours. I just don't understand what's wrong with the production of his movie. Maybe it isn't even the movie, maybe it's his acting."

"Calm down Dems, if you want, I'll tell him."

"No, I'll do it." Demi sighs, closes her eyes, and leans her head back on the couch.

Demi and Sterling have been through so many rough patches in their two year relationship, but none was as damaging and dangerous as this one. This has no problem with jealousy or money, it's all about time. Just recently, since the beginning of Sterling's production, his time and purpose for Demi was very narrow. Demi spent ten of the past seven nights alone. The three other nights with Miley. Demi knows that Sterling comes home around midnight, but he leaves very early in the morning so this leaves no talking except a few minutes on the phone.

A week passes and Demi knew that she has to tell him now or never. She parks next to his studio and enters through the huge roll up gate. Sterling was yelling at some lady which happens to be part of the script. "Cut!" The director screams. "Take five." He sets his headphones on the table next to him as the actors leave the stage.

"Hey!" Sterling gives Demi a hug and wipes off his sweaty face.

"I need to tell you something." They say in sync.

"You go first." Demi smiles at Sterling.

"Okay, next week, we have to tape in South Dakota for a lot of the movie scenes." Sterling says. "You should come with me."

"Uhm..." Demi stutters. "I don't know."

"What? Why?"

"I've been putting off telling you this but I have to go to Rio next week." Sterling furrows his eyebrows. "I'm sorry, but I have a really important tournament."

"How come you told me just now?"

"You haven't come home since you started filming, Sterling. I was gonna tell you three weeks ago when I got the call but you cancelled our dinner. Then two weeks ago I was hoping that you'd come home 'cause you said you had the day off, then you had to go back to set. And last week, don't even get me started. You didn't even set foot in the house let alone the porch."

"I don't care! You should've told me, even if it was over the phone." Sterling in rage, "Whatever, I have to go back on set."

"Are you serious?! This is something special for Miley and me, and all you can think about is your movie. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you. I'm also very sorry for waiting for you most late nights seeing if you'd walk through the door. I'm so sorry for even coming on set every morning to greet you a simple hello when you have never called me once to see how I was doing at home." Demi shakes her head and leaves out the gate to her car on the way to Miley's house.

The whole entire week Demi didn't talk to Sterling and he didn't come home or call. Demi drags her two luggages out of the house and onto Miley's convertible. "Are you sure you don't want to visit him?" She asks.

"No, thanks. I've done that plenty of times this whole month." Demi replies shutting the door to the passenger seat. Miley pulls out of the driveway and switches the radio. They jam to Maroon 5 on their way to the airport.