☀︎ 𝗧︎𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘 ☀︎

"Still taking full responsibility?" Lando shouted after me, we ran as fast as we could

"Still taking full responsibility?" Lando shouted after me, we ran as fast as we could. I had clenched onto his hand and dragged him through town as black clouds hovered over us. The wind howled, the rain soaked our clothes and we searched for cover.

"That's what I promised!" I yelled back, shielding off my eyes with my free hand. The only way to get somewhere safe was over the boardwalk, the boardwalk on the beach. Waves crashed on the rocks and I tried my best to not get the salty water in my eyes, or near me at all. Rain was just enough. I stopped, froze on the spot when thunder boomed in the distance. I took a look to the side, turbulent water that came closer and closer to where we were standing. "Holy shit!" I shouted over the noise of the storm. Lando looked behind him, he had already ran past me when I stopped, still holding on to my hand. He squinted his eyes more and beckoned me to come with him. "What if we die!"

"We are not going to die, Caro!" He shouted, pulling on my arm causing me to stumble over. "Sorry!" I rolled my eyes and attempted to stand up again, but I was unable to find enough strength in my legs to get up. "What are we-" Lando wanted to ask, interrupted by him gasping. "You know when I said we weren't going to die?"

I nodded and looked at where Lando pointed. A huge wave approached the beach at a quick pace. I swallowed and took a glance at Lando, who reached out for my hand as he searched for a way out of here. We couldn't go anywhere, I already knew that as I knew this place, the town might have been small, but the beach stretched out for at least another few miles, and the nearest place where we could get into town again was too far away for us to make it there. If we ran back, we were stuck in a part of the village and we couldn't get to a safe place unless we went over the beach, we already got so far. If we went in the direction I first wanted to go, we at least would have shelter.

"Yeah, I take that back!" Lando said, before climbing up a pole with direction arrows to bring himself to safety. In the meantime, I held on to the wooden boards on the sand, curling my fingers around the edges as I had nothing else to grab. I scrunched up my face and took a deep breath, preparing for the worst.

Before I knew I got slammed by a cold wave. I held on to the boards, so I didn't get dragged into the sea completely, but I failed that. As the wave pulled back, I managed to get my head above the water and I gasped for air. It probably looked a little foolish as I jumped around, trying to get out of the water and to the sand. The boardwalk was more distant from me than I expected, the wave took me further away than I hoped for and now I had to walk all the way back. Never mind, the water receded and left me standing on the sand, I ran as fast as I could again, but the water caught up with me faster, so there I was, again, getting dragged down by the water and falling face-first in the sand. I took the moments where the sea receded as an opportunity to run, and that way I got closer to the path as I first was, step by step, with lots of falling, but I got there eventually. After my few moments of failure, the water got a lot calmer, it was still windy, but less than before and the heavy rain turned into a drizzle.