Chapter 15: Spiked

Ryn_
Dinner was...chaos.
She had been sat between the Weasley twins at the long oakwood dining table, and the whole time it was just her insane family bombarding them with questions. People yelling. Arguments starting. Food everywhere. Children doing what children did best; being wild animals.
The occasional object chucked across the table at family members...yep, she was home.

As soon as she had sat down to enjoy a meal with her family and close friends, the violating questions had begun. Ryn had barely picked up her glass of wine before her aunt leaned onto the table and said,
"Darling,"
Looking at the twins either side of Ryn, she pulled a mischievous grin,
"Didn't think you were so brave. Takes courage, doing twins does."
Fred and George had quietly snickered either side of her and she'd made a point to dig her heels into their toes. Ryn's uncle winked at them all.
At that moment, one of Ryn's blood cousins jabbed her in the side with her elbow and said,
"Don't have any brothers, do they? Introduce me?"
"Um–"
Another of her cousins, who was across the table, threw his napkin at her face. She hissed at him and turned her full attention onto cursing at him, but he cut her off with,
"Oi, Rynira, your boy-toys got any hot friends?"
Ryn pulled a disbelieving face and said,
"Sev, you have a boyfriend!"
Her cousin only shrugged and leaned back in his chair,
"Not if they have any hot mates."
She shook her head. He threw his head back and went to say something else when someone called,
"Rynira! You–"
She turned her head to the voice, but someone to her right tugged on her shirt. Her head whipped to George at her side. 

He leaned down to her ear and whispered,
"A friend of yours?"
She followed his trail of sight, and found one of the family 'friends' a little ways down the table staring intently at George. Ryn glared at the woman. She remembered the strawberry blonde witch from school. She had been in Ravenclaw, same as Ryn.
"No,"
Ryn said, and added,
"Stay away from her. Bit of a skank."
George was about to reply when one of the little twins, Mason, waved Ryn down and yelled in his young voice,
"Aunty blue, can I have a sip from your drink?"
"Uh, No?"
"But–"
"I'll get you some cordial, if you want. But this will make your brain melt and you'll end up just like me."
The boy burst into a fit of giggles and said,
"But you're great!"
Ryn smiled and took a sip of her drink. The yelling of her name began again quickly.
"Rynira, you should've come with us on the trip–"
"–when did you meet these two gingers–"
"–I've never seen Rangers so tall–"
"–the views were to die for–"
"–who did you dig into first–"
"–oh, eat more food, would you? You're a twig for crying–"
"–hey, look at me! Cousin, you–"

Her head had been snapping back and forth up and down the table at all the family members talking to her when she realised that the twins were being shouted at too.
Fred and George were both talking very quickly to one person before answering someone else or explaining something about themselves or declining offers of more wine and food.
Amongst the wreck that was the dining table, Ryn noticed that Mason and Jackson were quiet, looking wide–eyed at all the adults around them. They looked as though they felt left out.
Ryn knew how that felt. Being the youngest in the family usually meant you were left out in a vast majority of the conversation. So she reached over and grabbed their empty glasses before saying to them both,
"Cordial? Last chance, boys. I think your lame aunts and uncles are about to start up the real interesting part of conversation about gross things like jobs and carpet choices."
The boys smiled and nodded, mason much more enthusiastic than Jackson. Ryn winked at them before standing from the table and slipping away to the kitchen.
Not to her surprise, her crazy family's voices followed her the whole way.

They echoed through the whole house, actually. Laughs and shouts of protest and outrage bouncing off the walls. Ryn turned in the large kitchen to dig the cordial out of the large fridge.
It was stocked to the maximum capacity, overflowing with food and snacks and alcohol. Not without amusement, she shook her head and set down the bottle of liquid sugar on the bench before going to fetch the ice cubes. The cubes had barely been poured into the glass when she turned around and had almost jumped from fright, as Fred had been directly behind her.
She skipped back a few steps and put a hand on her chest, smiling at him with wide eyes.
"You scared the life out of me!"