5

Once Crowley had regained his bearings, he drove himself and the angel back to the bookshop. Crowley's heart was feeling so overwhelmed, he was sure it would crack under the pressure.

He hadn't realised how long he'd been sitting in the car until Aziraphale opened his door and held a hand out for him to take. The demon let himself be guided back inside.

"Crowley..." Aziraphale began once the demon was seated. The shake in the Angel's words brought the demon back to life.
"I meant what I said. I love you. But I want you to understand, that comes with absolutely no obligation to love me back. But in saying that... My dear, I don't want to live in a world without you on my side..." Crowley gripped onto the Angel's hands tighter than he meant to but his emotions were just too strong for him to realize and the angel wasn't going to tell him.

"My Angel, we're on our side, remember? I promised you that. And I stand by it. I'll always be on your side. And how could you even question my love for you? I love you more that anything in all of her creations. You are the only thing in this universe worth living for." Tears began falling from the Angel's eyes but this time, not in pain or sadness, but in true undying and ineffable love.

Crowley drew Aziraphale into him. It was a beautiful moment held by the two. A moment they'd remember for the rest of their lives. The following moment however, was one they'd pray to forget.

"How disgusting," the horrible voice spoke. Crowley and Aziraphale both stiffened and turned to face the words. There, Gabriel stood looking down on the angel and demon.
"You Aziraphale, shouldn't even still exist!" Crowley let in a violent inhaled breath. A light hand rested on the demon, marginally calming him.

"What do you want Gabriel?" The archangel smirked.

"It seems I've been making a mistake while playing. But don't worry, I've corrected it now." The Angel's eyes widened, he knew about the mistake in Gabriel's melodies. If Gabriel found it, Crowley would certainly kill him this time.

Gabriel brought the instrument to his mouth and began to play. A mystical harmony filled the air. In a rush Aziraphale flung his arms around the Demon.

"I love you Crowley. I have all along. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I'm sorry it's come to this. Please be safe." Aziraphale rushed through. The demon and his fearful eyes had stiffened. Against his will, his body began to transform. It grew metres and metres longer and scales appeared. The giant and deadly serpent appeared before him. They bore Crowley's eyes, though he could see the failure to recognize him in their pupils.

Aziraphale had been correct. Gabriel had fixed the melody. The angel rushed up and backed away from the impending snake. The snake took a strike at the angel, barely missing and hitting the wall behind him. Then another, which only missed the angel by a hair as he dodged. But as he looked around for an escape, he realised, there was none. The Serpent was by far faster than him and even if the angel was stronger, there was no way he'd ever hurt Crowley. Aziraphale sighed. He'd made his decision.

"Please just do it quickly," He whispered. As though on cue, the sharp fangs bit into Aziraphale's shoulder, causing him to cry out in pain. Even once the Serpent released him, he could feel the venom seeping into him. Violently, he fell to the ground, losing the ability to breathe. He reached for air, losing sight in the process.

In an instant, rushed pictures entered into the Serpent's head. Crowley walking past the bookshop to see it stripped and bare. Sitting on a park bench alone, Miracling bread to feed the ducks. Dining out at a two seater table, only to stare at an empty chair. All of a sudden, Crowley could see again. His angel in a ball on the ground. His whimpers and cries, drowning out the flute.

Rage entered the demon like nothing he'd ever felt before. He slithered carefully, coiling himself several times around his injured angel defensively. He turned to face Gabriel who had stopped playing in surprise. Crowley couldn't control his anger. He violently struck the archangel, letting his venom sink in before tearing out a chunk of his neck. He then struck over and over until the blood had dispersed from his body. The venom from the demon stretching out from several bite marks into the archangel's soul, destroying it once and for all.

A flash of light and the once archangel turned to nothing but dust. A mercy, Crowley thought, he didn't deserve.

The second Gabriel was gone, Crowley transformed back into his usual self, hurrying to his knees by the Angel's side. The Angel was barely alive, trying desperately to hold on. Tears broke down the Demon's cheeks. He wasn't ready to lose his angel. He couldn't.

Crowley held the Angel against his chest. The blood from the angel seeping onto the demon. Roughly, the demon kissed the top of the Angel's hair.

"I love you, my beautiful Angel." He murmured into his head. With a moan, he pulled the angel onto his lap. His arms refused to leave his cold angel. His heart was cracking. He felt so lost and so confused. He would have done anything in that moment to save his angel.