Chapter 12: The Ace Up Our Sleeve

An ace. Such a versatile card in one's deck. The ability to appear as one number then swiftly switch to another and stun the table is a risky yet rewarding play to make. The ace can make or break the player's hand, so they must use it wisely. I intend to use our ace more than wisely.

After St. Gloriana's expected defeat to Kurimorimine, the world's eyes were now on us and Pravda. Furthermore, Pravda did not look too pleased about me flying, so they're targeting my fighter in the upcoming match.

Y/n: Shoot down my jet. They won't be able to do that.

Miho: And why not? Their pilots are formidable and are crack shots.

Y/n: Just focus in on a word in my sentence. That should tip you off as to what I mean.

Miho: Shoot down my jet. I don't get it!

With a smirk on my face I sauntered off, leaving Miho to ponder what I said in more detail. Her mumbling faded away as I returned to the hangars and found the 3 other pilots having a game of blackjack on a box.

Elizabeth: Hey Y/n! Want in?

Y/n: Sure, how much we betting?

Jamie: As much as you want, but bets aren't adjustable after I deal the first card alright?

Y/n: Fine by me. I bet £100.

Their eyes widened at my bet, soon turning to looks of determination.

Stacy: I bet £100 too.

Elizabeth: Same.

Jamie: Alright then, let's play.

Dealing each of us a hand, Jamie peeked at her cards and smirked confidently. As she sat back in a relaxed position, Elizabeth called out for a card.

Elizabeth: Hit me.

Jamie dealt her a card to which she slammed them on the table and huffed, obviously going bust.

Stacy: I think I'll stay.

Y/n: That's worrying. She obviously believes in her hand, so it must be high. Unless she is bluffing hard here, I can't take that risk. Besides, I have an ace and a 2. Easy to work with.

Y/n: I'll have a card.

Jamie slid a card over and I looked at it. A jack stared back at me. I decided to play Stacy for a fool and huffed in feint annoyance, seeing a small grin form on her face.

Y/n: Looks like I'm out.

Laying my hand on the box, I stood up and stretched off. Stacy did a little victory dance but was interrupted by me sitting down again and requesting another card.

Stacy: What are you doing?! You're bust!

Y/n: Am I? An ace can be either 11 or 1, it all depends on your hand. So jamie, another card please.

Jamie drew a card from the deck and slid it over face down, to which I picked it up and hid my deck from everyone else. I had drawn an 5.

Y/n: Well that brings me to an 18. I have four cards here, so I need a 3 or.....hold on. I have 4 cards. All I need is to stay under 3 and I have either blackjack or 5 card charlie. Perfect. And I don't need to worry, I know the next card is an ace so I've won. My victory rests on is Jamie. Even if I achieve a 5 card Charlie if she gets a blackjack she automatically wins.

(For some readers unfamiliar with Blackjack, there is a rule in which if a player collects 5 cards without going bust they win. This is called a 5 card Charlie. However, even in the event of a 5 card Charlie, if the dealer has a Blackjack then the dealer wins.)