Chapter 17

The sound of loud voices jolted the two out of their debate. The wedding party rushed onto the terrace, Maho and April in front, hand in hand, laughing happily and looking up at the dark sky. A bang sounded and a small fireball flew into the cold air. All eyes followed the point of light to see more colorful rockets explode above them with an astonished "Ahhh!". A sea of twinkling stars brightened the dark firmament and thousands of glowing sparks lit up the happy faces. Children shrieked enthusiastically and one or the other couple of lovers lay dreamily in each other's arms and hugged closely. What a successful midnight show, most thought to themselves.

Hichan, the alien sat on the railing and leaned against the house wall. After the shattering encounter with his "true love," he needed some fresh air. He cried silently to himself as Toru, with Taka on his arm, sought out the very same corner of the sprawling porch to be undisturbed. And since he was invisible, they didn't notice him either. Hichan had only sighed into himself, hiding his head between his knees, so that he wouldn't have to watch the two of them fussing. The fireworks also startled him, and he followed the spectacle with a veiled look.
But Taka had a weakness for such light shows and took this opportunity to slip past Toru. He leaned against the wide railing and stretched his face toward the sky. The flashing dots were reflected in his eyes, which were mesmerized as they followed each successive rocket. Then he raised his hands, which were tucked into the long sleeves of Toru's jacket, and began to spin. 'I wish I had a ticket home. Could disappear without a care in space,' he thought to himself and climbed onto the railing.

"Taka? What are you doing?" The guitarist was unsure. He didn't quite know how to react. On the one hand, after Mori's confession, which he had already heard through Hichan, he didn't want to be too pushy and necessarily put an end to his friend's childish activities, but it was dangerously high and falling into the garden could break all his bones. He tried to be playful, not responding to what he had said before:

"I know you always come back to me," he said with a laugh, slowly approaching the balancers. " There will be no choice for you." He reached out to grab his friend's legs, but Taka did a graceful horse hop and just chuckled.

Toru's heart stopped for a moment. The lanky singer was now suddenly rowing frantically to keep from losing his balance. In slow motion he tipped backwards, leaning dangerously far out over the railing and close his eyes.
'Fate decides. I won't stand in his way; he needs to forget me ... he will become a father ...' With these thoughts, Taka lost his hold and fell.

In that split second of falling backwards, the singer thought he had found the solution to all his problems. His life didn't work without Toru and everyone around him seemed to know that, even thousands of fans wrote down his story. Put him in dramas, tragedies, adventures or science fiction stories. But wasn't it his choice to think about himself and his future? ...
'I choose, ... release him. ... Without me, it will be much easier ...'

"Another day, another life, I wanna live it to the fullest.
A little work, a lotta play, ... Alright.
We'll never be as young as we are now.
You say it's all right, you say it's OK.
But it's up to me, I'll tell you, this is the truth.
I'm feeling used with no one to save me.
And still you say it's all right, does that make it OK?
What's best for me, is less for you,
It's my decision!"

"Takahiro!!! No!"

A rough push threw him back onto the terrace, where the groom caught him.
"Oh my God," the blond moaned, shaking all over. He hugged Taka to him, who leaned against his chest in a daze.
"Shit Mori! Hey, what was that just now? Are you crazy about life? Hichan's voice made them both jump around, startled.
"That was the last time! Damn, and I mean it! The last time I save your relationship! Find another bodyguard! I'm out of here, ... forever! ... Oh yes, I'm so sick of it." With the last word, he appeared, scowling and narrowing his eyes. His cheeks were flushed and moist, his chapped lips quivering with anger. "You're such an idiot Mori, find your true love, fight for it, only to end up lonely and drifting to your death? ... Terribly sad ... But maybe you don't deserve him!" he continued to scold, more and more energetic and louder. "Yes, you simply don't deserve Toru's affection, his loyalty and constant devotion. Apparently, it's not worth anything to you. ... How stupid can you be!? ... Only be aware of never getting a chance like this again." Clenching his fists, he moved dangerously close to his brother. "Pha! I mean, you're so a lucky one ... and you just throw it away!" he spat at his brother, and Taka stepped back, uncomprehending.

"Hiroki?" What's the matter? Have you lost your mind?!" the elder hissed at the little one and leaned forward again, but Toru immediately pushed himself between them and grabbed the alien by the shoulders.

"Hichan, calm down. I'll handle this myself with Taka. He shook the angry redhead a little to bring him to his senses. "It's all good, ... thanks to your help," the blond murmured in relief, trying to smile and tousling his red hair. Instantly, the feelers extended, and the two men stared at the alien in disbelief.

"Oh shit, ... you're blooming ...", Taka marveled and moved closer, but his younger brother avoided him and was certainly anything else but friendly.
" You better stop making fun of me. This is not the result of true love!" he said, upset, pulling violently on his purple tentacles. "It's ... it's a misunderstanding, a deception, ... a ... whatever!" he was almost shouting, because the fireworks around them were at his height.

"Now get a grip," Toru tried again, shoving the alien into the furthest corner, who had begun to cry out of exasperation, but was still glaring angrily at his older brother. "Why are you so upset? I realize that many things are and have been difficult, but you need to grow up now. You should stop these childish things with changing bodies, it only brings confusion ... and ..." Sad, tearful eyes looked at Toru, so he stopped his reproaches and thought about what the reason for this strange emotional outburst could be. The blond didn't know this side of Hiroki. The Brother of Taka was practically always in a happy state, always in a joking mood. So angry and undiscerning as it was here, it almost gave the impression of being head over heels in love. Didn't the feelers betray it clearly?
"Now ... you're even start. ... Just leave me alone," the little one defended, but much more quietly and visibly offended.
"We can help you. Talk to us so that we know what or who got you in such a rage," Toru suggested, looking down at Hiroki, who was slumped over, seemingly not wanting to see or hear anything.

Taka stepped from one foot to the other. It was cold, but what made him freeze even more were Hichans words. His little brother was right. How often had the latter risked his own life and taken a back seat to support the elder when he was still Mori the alien. In space, on earth, it didn't matter. He really was a good boy, brash and daredevil, yet still responsible and courteous.

"Hiroki, ... I'm sorry," Taka said insightfully, kneeling on the floor. "I ... I don't know what to say. ... You've always been there ... so matter-of-fact, helpful and unenvious." He tried to pull him up by the arm to get the weeping man to look at him, but Hiro made himself even smaller and turned away. "I am sorry. ... What do you want to hear from me?"
"Only one thank you!?"
the younger man shot the words at Taka, who fell backwards, hit against Toru's feet. "Just a fucking thanks ... you are so ..., you're ..." Hichan left it at that, though he would have so gladly thrown anything at him.

The singer was speechless, stood up with Toru's help and was gently nudged by his friend, as if to motivate him not to give up.
"... Sure, ... thanks, ... Hichan." His friend nudged him again. "I ... thank you. You're right, ... without you I would be a lonely, stupid alien with no past and no future. A nothing, ... so thank you." It sounded dry and sobering, but Taka meant it. Again, he dropped to his knees in front of his brother and took him carefully in his arms. He already expected resistance, but the little one immediately clung to him and cried bitter tears into Toru's jacket Taka was wearing.