Chapter 33

The news of her sudden leaving reached the wedding party completely unexpectedly. Everyone still had her happy face in front of their eyes when she wished the bride and groom all the best yesterday. There was no trace of weakness or fatigue, only when she met the Moriuchi brothers late at night a change began to be noticed. Maho was the only one who knew of Miss Hinata's intentions, mourning silently and yet blaming herself greatly for not having stayed with her until her departure and leaving the old lady alone.

So, after a wedding of a different kind, a farewell ceremony with an empty coffin followed.
At the end of September, the closest and most trusted guests gathered again in the large estate to pay their last respects to the grandmother. The event was to be free of the supernatural so as not to confuse outsiders, as was the case with Maho and Toru's wedding day.

If many now expected a very sad celebration, they should be disabused, because the greatest desire of the old woman was always to see her "children" so the entire family was meant, with happy faces. She herself had a smile for everyone and had been the best role model in this respect.
Therefore, between dissolved sobs and unrestrained weeping, there was also hearty laughter and cheerful talk about all the good deeds of the head of the family.
Also the cook was invited to it again, in order to provide for the physical well-being of the guests. What would be a " party " without good food? The Vampezki already got the order at her last catering, which was now a week ago.

"Miyu, hurry up ...", Mona Lisa urged her daughter, who peeled potatoes calmly and did not give the impression of being in a hurry at all. And for what reason? He wasn't there, so she might as well stay in the kitchen. But this the older woman did not accept.
"We shouldn't be the last ones, pretty much everyone' s already on their way, so come on ..." Sighing, Miyu placed the loveless peeled tuber in the bowl, put the knife next to it, and washed her hands. The young lady was already finished with her wardrobe, neatly combed and nicely styled. Which she found abundantly unnecessary. And this black dress, which she sewed especially for herself, also seemed a bit excessive to her at that moment. She didn't feel comfortable in it, that could be seen, but now it was too late to change again.
"You look very grown up ... it suits you, ... really." She took her daughter by the shoulders, straightened her and smiled. "We'll go with Takuyan and the twins. They'll distract you a bit and who knows, maybe they know where the redhead is too?" the mother gave her to understand and right after that the door flew open and two impetuous children, who looked very much alike, ran towards the two.

"Ciao miei signori! We are supposed to pick you up. Daddy's waiting in the parking lot and ... he's still on the phone with the uncle. The whole ride here already," they complained, clicking their fingers open and closed and moving their mouths. The young Vampezki took a deep breath. Should she ask? But what if they didn't mean Hiroki? There were definitely others who would come into question. Besides, the said uncle was always referred to as the red devil, and neither of the two children mentioned even a part of it.
That's why she stayed silent. She swallowed her curiosity, because she knew the twins were clever and always so embarrassingly honest. They would immediately get suspicious, and tease her about it. No, she didn't want that, not here and not now, so close to the funeral.
Takuyan's offspring pulled them out into the open and told them the latest news. The father was already waiting for them with his oversized smile and bowed politely.

"Hello, my pretty ladies, I'm glad to see you again." He gave Miyu an appreciative nod and kissed her mother's hand. "It's an honor to chauffeur you, but ..." He approached the daughter and handed her his jacket, which he had quickly removed earlier. The twins grinned guardedly, which made Miyu a bit puzzled. "It's very awkward for me ... but ..." the doctor stumbled. "I would have to ask you a favor, because ... the buttons ... they came undone, all of a sudden, and I thought ... since you ..." He lifted the garment a bit higher, pleading to her with his big eyes. Of course she reached for it, wanting to say something else, but Takuyan seemed to be in a terrible hurry all at once. "Thank you very much, take your time, I'll send someone back to pick you up in time. ... It'll be fine, don't worry." He whirled around and urged his children into the car. "Now, hurry up. Shoo, shoo! We should get started." And when he gently pushed the mother toward the passenger door, she just looked at him skeptically. "Miyu can handle it on her own," he reassured her. "Besides, we need your helping hands at the church, Mona Liesa. There's still so much to do ..."
The car doors were closed briskly, four children's hands waved goodbye, and finally the girl was enveloped in a small cloud of dust as the car pulled off the gravel road.

Only now did she take a closer look at the jacket in her hands. It was missing a total of five buttons, which Takuyan explained would be found in a side pocket. And indeed they were, with neatly cut threads of twine and a very small pair of children's scissors.
"How in the world does he raise his children? These buttons have clearly been cut ..." She shook her head uncomprehendingly, but what choice did she have? The order was to sew them back on.

So the trained dressmaker made her way back into the house, sat down in the study and started sewing. Actually, it suited her just fine, not to have to go right away. She didn't want the crowd of people who were surely already waiting in the church, nor the sad words of the priest.

She took her time, but five buttons could only be pinned once, so she decided to check her makeup again. She had perhaps exaggerated a bit with the red lips and the eyeliner, which made her eyes even more expressive. It was unusual, but it had become one of her new hobbies. In general, she now paid more attention to her appearance and drew on her perfected talents. The idea of sewing herself a new dress for the farewell came to her only two days ago and the many hours she invested in it had definitely not been for nothing. There was a lot of dexterity in the little details on the waistbands and stays. The lace inserts, repeated at the shoulders and the flow of the smoothly falling skirt that reached slightly above her knees like a cocktail dress, also showed her skill once again. On the whole, it looked very stylish but not overdone or obtrusive.

She turned in front of the large mirror and watched how her hair, twisted into curls, bobbed over her shoulders and reflected the shine of the sun's rays. Satisfied and happy to have a little more time, she smiled at her reflection in the mirror when a sudden honking jolted her out of her thoughts. A quick glance out of the window confirmed her fear of finally having to join the society.
The silver-gray Honda was parked right in front of the house and a black-haired man was standing in front of it. Visibly impatient, or perhaps very nervous, which Miyu was not surprised by, however. Takuyan had certainly slipped the driver a few yen to play cab for her. No matter how far along the festivities were in progress.
"A funny guy, that alien doctor. I would have been able to stitch the puttons on while he was driving. Did he just want to get rid of me, so he could flirt with my mother undisturbed?"

She shook her head somewhat sullenly. But still, she was going to ask him about his student when the time came. Surely they had returned from this trip together.

"Well then ..." One last look in the mirror and then she made use of her newly learned gift and made herself invisible. Ever since the last conversation with the grandmother, she had mastered this ability, as if out of the blue, without knowing why or wherefore. Miyu noticed a change in herself. As if she suddenly had more extraordinary genes that resembled those of the IUCHIS. Although her palms were not adorned with many small suction cups and she was also missing the feelers. The powers of the vampezkis increased enormously, so that she already outshines her mother in some things. Only the teleportation didn't work yet, that's why she walked along the corridor now, so that the driver wouldn't have to wait any longer. Just before the car, she became visible, only to fade away again at the same moment.