Chapter Thirteen

Amber

"I-"

My mind was racing. I didn't know whether to lie about it or tell Tom the truth.

"And don't even think about lying to me," Tom added, "because Jacq told me that's why you were late to the game because you were hanging out with him."

I started shaking my head, "That's not-, he doesn't-"

"Why didn't you tell me you worked with him?"

"Because he doesn't!"

"Stop lying!"

"You don't know what you're talking about." I defended.

I felt the words bubbling up, creeping towards the top of my tongue.

Tom sighed, "You know what, Amber? This," Tom motioned between us, "isn't going to work out if you don't tell me things."

"Oh my god, Tom, we're not working together."

"Amber-" Tom interrupted me again.

"He was a patient there."

As the words left my mouth, I regretted them instantly.

Tom blankly stared at me for a moment. I don't think I blinked for the moments he was silent, the regret only deepening as each moment passed.

"Are you serious?"

I hesitated before nodding.

"Please don't tell anyone. I'm serious, Tom. It's not something to joke or spread rumors about."

Tom sat there for a few moments.

"Tom, I can get in serious trouble and lose my job if-"

Tom reached out and grabbed my hand over the table.

"Relax, Amber. I won't tell anyone. I promise."

We finished dinner, and Tom walked me back to my dorm. As we reached the doors, Tom stopped and pulled me into a hug.

"I'm sorry that I got so mad before. I just wanted to make sure you were safe."

"Safe?" I questioned, leaning back so I could see his face.

"From Cassidy. He's dangerous, Amber."

"Oh," I rolled my eyes and smirked, but then saw the look on Tom's face.

"I'm not joking." Tom clarified.

Instead of arguing with him, I decided to table the conversation for another time.

"If I promise I will be safe, can you do something for me?"

"Here we go," Tom laughed, "what can I do for you?"

My eyes squinted, and lips pierced.

"Can you come with me to my mom's next weekend? My dad and his new fiancé are coming over for dinner, and my mom said I need to be there as a buffer, so..."

"Now you want me to be there too?"

"I don't want to go alone." I pressed, my arms tightening around his waist as we remained embraced.

"I gotta be honest, that sounds awful," Tom groaned, as I playfully slapped his shoulder, "but for you, I will go."

"Yay!" I planted a quick kiss on his lips, "thank you."

"Mhm." He rolled his eyes, smirking as we parted ways for the night.

As I crawled into bed, I unlocked my phone and saw that the screen was still on contacts with Cassidy's name plastered across the screen.