Chapter Twenty Five

I opened the door to our dorm and saw Jacq lying on her bed.

"How did it go?"

"It didn't. He didn't want to see me."

Jacq sat up, "What?!"

I nodded, sitting on the edge of her bed. Jacq sits up and moves next to me, wrapping her arms around me and resting her head on my shoulder.

"He doesn't want any visitors, not even me."

Jacq squeezes me tighter. I leaned her head on top of Jacq's, closing my eyes.

"I just want to be there for him."

"I know. He will come around. Did they tell you anything about how he was doing?"

"The nurse just said that he needs time to heal and get better," I paused, raising my head to Jacq, "how do I end up pushing everyone away when all I'm trying to do is help them?"

"Not everyone..." Jacq says, grabbing my attention, "I'm still here."

I smiled, tilting my head at her.

She rolls her eyes,  "Okay, so for a moment, we took a hot break, but we're back and stronger than ever."

I closed my eyes again, rubbing my hands over my face in exhaustion.

For the rest of the night, Jacq and I talked, tried to watch a movie, but all I could do was keep checking my phone for an update from Sam, which never came.

The next day, we had exams, so I had to attend. I sat in Cassidy's seat, knowing I wouldn't be able to stop looking at it if I didn't.

I checked my phone repeatedly, waiting for any information on Cassidy. Nothing. I decided to go ahead and text Sam, asking if there were any updates.

As I awaited her response, I found myself strolling towards the coffee shop.

After I ordered and waited at the pickup counter, I see Tom walk in. I tried to look down at my phone, hoping he would leave me alone, having no patience for him today.

"Hey, Amber."

I glanced up at him just as my order was being put down on the counter. I grabbed my coffee and turned, continuing to walk past him and outside.

"Amber, please," Tom said from behind me, following me outside.

"I'm late for my study group." I lied, trying to keep walking, but Tom stopped me.

"Amber, I know you don't have to hear me out, but I just wanted to say that I'm truly sorry. I feel like a complete ass for what I did."

I turned towards Tom, exhaling, and I could see the sincerity behind his eyes.

"Thank you for saying that."

Tom nodded cautiously, "I should have said it a long time ago."

I nodded in agreement.

"So, um," Tom scratches the back of his head, "how have you been?"

"I'm doing okay..." I said, not wanting to tell him about Cassidy or what was actually going on in my life, "how are you?"

"I'm good. Trying to get through all of my exams."

"Yeah, same."

There was an awkward pause as we both just looked at each other for a moment.

"I should get going," I said, motioning behind me.

"Right, yeah." Tom nodded,  "It was great seeing you."