Chapter 9

The Takamis laid out an extra futon, pillows, and blankets and slept in the living room of Rin and Ren's house that night. Mrs. Takami woke up early to make breakfast for the young couple, while her husband brewed medicine for Ren and tea that strengthens the body for Rin.

     The sun is has only climbed halfway up the sky when the couple heard the twins cry. "They're both crying. Watch the porridge and make sure it doesn't boil over old man. I'm going to help Rin." Mrs. Takami directs her husband and a quick "Yes," from her husband sends her speeding through the halls.

     As the middle-aged woman stands outside the main bedroom, she is surprised to hear the cries coming from inside. Rin was supposed to be resting in the other room, moving around without help was very dangerous for her at the moment. She is going to have to give an earful to this new mother.

     She slides the door open and sees the wailing twins in the middle of their parents. Rin and Ren slept on their sides with their hands still intertwining from last night-looking shield protecting their children. Seeing the scene before her, the middle-aged woman slides down to her feet, knocking over the lantern that was on the side table.

     Hearing the sound of something falling Mr. Takami removes the pot of porridge and kettles before speeding his way towards the bedroom. When the retired doctor reaches the open door, he sees is wife carrying one baby in one arm, while trying to get the other one. "I'll get the other one."

     Hearing her husband's dejected voice behind her, Mrs. Takami steps away and secures the boy in her arms. Mr. Takami gently scoops up the crying baby girl. He too steps away and coos at her. "At least they were happy to the very end. And were able to spend their last night together with their children." The middle-aged man states before seeing the bowl aside next to Rin.

     "They must be hungry," he states before picking up the bowl with a bit difficulty with one arm. They move to the living room and fed the twins there.

     Mr. Takami spent the whole afternoon and evening digging a grave big enough for the two. Even in death, they didn't want to let go of one another. Putting the children to sleep, both husband and wife helped each other carry out the figures that seem to be sleeping out to the backyard.

     After they finished burying the bodies, the sun is setting, a hue of pink and orange in the sky. "Today is a very beautiful indeed. I'm glad that at least they were able to go on such a beautiful day like this." Mrs. Takami states. Wrapping one arm around his wife, Mr. Takami replies back, "Yes, today indeed is a very beautiful day."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

     That evening, the husband and wife took what little things the twins would need and went back to their house. Sitting in their room, each cradling a child in arm, Mrs. Takami suddenly remembered that the twins had no name. "My oh my, how could I forget something so important. They didn't even have a chance to name their children."

     Tenderly patting the child in his arms, Mr. Takami says, "Rin, and Ren. That's what their names shall be." They laid down to sleep with the twins that night, but the older couple couldn't get a wink of sleep in at all.

     Within the next week, they searched through Rin and Ren's belongings-saving whatever they could for the twins. They cleaned the small house and took any food that had been stored away. Afterwards, they went back to their house and did the same.

     Now, they stood in front of the grave of the young couple. Mrs. Takami carrying Rin on her back and her husband with Ren on his back. "Rin, Ren, now that there's no one left in this mountain village, we've decided to move to the town down at the base of the mountain; it will be better for the twins. But don't worry my wife and I will take care and love them like our own grandchildren. How could we not when we stayed in this abandoned village for your sake Ren. Therefore, I promise that we will look after the children carefully. So you two can move with no worries and regrets. Please give us your blessing and protection when we trek down the mountain so that no danger may come obstruct our way."

     The couple respectfully bows before leaving. They carried the children and any necessary items down the mountain. It took them a full day to reach their destination. They left at the crack of dawn, and now the sun is almost fully set.

     The middle-aged couple can hear the laughter of kids, dogs barking, and the sound of people moving about doing their own businesses.

     Little Rin on Mrs. Takami's back let out a soft short cry. Pleased, the woman speaks to the child, "Yes, I see you like it too little Rin. We will make a home here for you and your brother. You two may only have grandma and grandpa, but grandma promises that we will give you two the best life we can offer."

     This time, it's baby Ren who gives a quiet grunt in agreement. The couple chuckle at the twins' cute reactions. Mr. Takami firmly grabs onto his wife's before saying, "Now, let's go. Let's go to our new home shall we?" And the four walked towards the bustling town, towards their new home. 

The End