the darkest hour is just before dawn

DAYS LATER TOTAL OF FORTY-SEVEN DAYS SENCE FREE

 Mark was brought from his thoughts, which were in German, by the sound of clanging and soft shouting. Suddenly, three faces popped into view in the cell door. The faces' belonged to three of their friends: Conner, Josh, and Jason.

"Oh, thank gosh we found you when we did. He looks terrible. What happened?" asked Conner seeing James curled up, laying partway on Mark. James looks worse than terrible; he was sweaty and shivering like he was not warm enough. James was also covered in deep gashes some of which were roughly bound with strips of shirt cloth.

"It does not matter right now. We get him out here." Mark urged his English was broken due to not speaking it for the full forty-seven days they two were POWs and well just not speaking, in general, his voice was soft and broken sounding from being unused. The other four guys in Squad E had been teaching him better English but when the German guards heard him speaking English, they would beat him so Mark had to stop. Once out of the cell Mark breathed, "You came us." was all Mark was able to get out before Jason pulled him into a hug, whispering about how worried they were, how long they searched for, and that Mark would never be truly alone neither would James. "am glad you three came when did. James would not have survived if did not come for us. I ask though why come for us? you have left us and killed the German officers?" Mark ended up asking looking rather dumb to his friends. Even though Mark's English was very broken the three other men understood him perfectly. They even gave him a look that said are you, serious right now.

"What, do you believe that we would just leave you and James here in this filth hole? Not only are you guys our friends, but we Americans' have to stick together. We all come from different family's, it does not matter to us. Heck Josh over there, is Italian but we would still risk ourselves to save him." asked Jason worried that his friend had a mental setback from all himself and Mark had worked through.

"Tank you," replied Mark simply. With the help of their friends, Mark and James escaped the Nozi torture chambers. There were few guards for them to get past thankfully. What the boys did not know was that General Chris was distracting his ranking officers so the five brave men could escape, unfortunately, General Chris was shot in the head by one of his higher-ranking officers. He died a hero in the books of the five men he defended. For the escape party, it only took a little over a day to get to the American camp which surprised Mark, for he thought they would continue on their way to defeat Germany and not bother rescuing two worthless soldiers.