The Start to an Unlikely Friendship

(In this story, I use real history along with fiction. If someone in your family fought in WWII, I apologize for any incorrect information. If someone in your family or you know someone how was a POW, I mean no disrespect I am writing  just for entertainment. If you know real stories from people who fought in WWII, I would love to hear them. My great uncles fought and died in that war along with my grandfather who lived but died before I was born. I want to say thank you for your service in any branch of the military.)

″'Tonight is the night of nights,' said Sinks. 'May God be with each of you fine soldiers.'" - Band of Brothers on D-Day

The tension ran thick in the air around the men of Easy Company. The men sat around in a tight space trying to calm down enough to go over what they needed to do on their very first combat jump.  To add more stress on the men Easy Company had gotten split up among three different plans.  "On your feet men! Be ready to load up! Stay by your jump buddy at all times it might just save your life!" Lieutenant Richard Winters yelled to his men trying to rally them together. The stress tension was so thick that Winters and his Information Officer Lewis Nixon felt almost physically ill. "Nix, Jake, keep an eye on your men. I have a bad feeling about this jump." Winters said looking at the men he assigned as number one on each plane. Winters had picked these men to make sure everyone made it down to the ground on Normandy, little did they know just how bad the jump would turn out to be.

James Roland Spencer was 18 when he received the letter that drafted him to fight in WWII. He would jump on to Omaha beach in Normandy, France. He was a daring paratrooper in the 506th Airborne Infantry in the 101st Airborne and he would jump on D-Day at dusk with his company, Easy Company.  The jump was terrifying, nobody knew what or where they needed to be the planes were way too low and others were way too high. James had an angel sitting in his lap cause for whatever reason he got up and sat by the door so he was ready to jump Josh a boy sitting next to him, did the same thing. James was lucky to make it down with one other man in his plain, the young boy named Josh. It took Josh and James quite a while to find a CO in the dark  lonely field they had landed in. Neither man had gotten shot, the only slight problem came when James and josh fell down a muddy slope and landed in a creek but they soon found their CO. "eagle eagle!" James and Josh cried out together when they saw the gun pointed at them. Both boys had fallen as ungraceful as a bag of rocks down a steep muddy slope into a small cold creek. What the two had not known at the time was a group of U.S. paratroopers happened to be walking along the brook when the two fell. "Oh, sweet cream, am I happy to see Americans!" Josh cried out is joy looking at the men before them. "Name and Rank Now!" The CO who was with the troop yelled at James and Josh. "Private James R Spencer, Sir!" James said snapping to attention. " Private Josh W Lipton, Sir!" Josh said standing at attention beside James. "What company and infantry?!" The CO yelled again. (I am so sorry if I got this wrong)

"501st airborne infantry of the 101st airborne division sir! We are part of Easy Company Sir!" The two boys yelled out together they knew that any CO would ask them these questions. The CO nodded and motioned for the two to join his group of men. All the men were from different companies, same Dog, Alpha, and Easy Company. Walking through the tree the men were horrified to find a group of U.S men dead hung in a tree. Stuffing the emotions to the back of their minds the men pushed forward looking for any signs of the American camp.

Weeks into the siege to Germany James saves an injured Nozi solder. James later would find out the boy's name is Mark and that he  18. James made a split-second decision to help the pained solder even if it meant his death. The German general, a loyal man named Chris, saw the sudden compassion the American boy showed to the fallen soldier. James ran ford and barely is able to support the injured man. Bullets flying about and the missal booming gave James the adrenalin rush he needed to sprint with the shot man across the field and straight into the town that the Americans took over. On his way, a stray bullet caught James in the side almost causing him to fall. Miraculously he caught himself and continued forward with the injured man he had in his grip. Almost immediately the medic team rushed ford and took both wary men to the medical tent. A few weeks after James brought the German boy to the American camp Mark told James

"I do not want to fight and the German side anymore. I have brought too much death and destruction to families Jewish or other." Mark paused then continued," I... if your lieutenant will allow it, I want to fight on the American side."

"Why do you want to fight on the American side you are a German soldier?" asked James, who was stumped.

"The reason is simple. I want the destruction of the German army as much as you do." the tone that Mark replied with, stated that it was not up for debate.

"Man, I knew from the time I rescued you that something was different. Come on let's go talk to Lt. Winters." offered James. That is what they did and it was decided by Lt. Winters that mark could fight on the American side. It also was decided that Mark would work as a spy and report important information to the young Lt. Winters and Intelligence officer Lewis Nixon. The same lieutenant also made an elite squad of five men. Josh, James, Connor, Jason the four other men were to help their fifth member Mark.