chapter six

You gasped when you opened your eyes. You were fully dressed, tucked up in bed as the New York morning was just beginning.

You tried to move, and with it came a colossal brick whack to your head. You winced, smacking your lips to try and erase the immense dry, stale taste in your mouth.

All you knew was that you needed water, and that meant walking to the kitchen.

You forced yourself to sit at the edge of your bed as a stabbing pain penetrated your temples. You pushed forward, placing your feet on the wooden flooring and attempting to stand—

With it came a wave of nausea.

You felt like shit. Pure, unfiltered, shit.

And it was all entirely self-inflicted. You only had yourself to blame for drinking the extortionate about of booze that you had the previous night.

Last night.

You tried to place everything—you remembered Monte's, then coming back to your apartment afterwards, but everything beyond that was a blur that you simply couldn't recall.

You urged yourself to step forward, then step again, and again—

That was when your foot whacked into something on the floor; immediately all balance went out of the window. You fell to the ground, only just putting out your arms in time to somewhat break your fall. You rolled on the floor, moaning in pain, as the urge to be sick increased evermore.

"Jesus—," A coarse voice spoke up, causing you to react way too fast than your body could bare. You halted abruptly, finally seeing what you'd slammed into—

Benny fucking Watts was on your floor, wrapped in a throw blanket from your couch, cushion placed by his head. He clutched his hand to his rib, squinting in pain.

"Why the fuck did you do that?" He groaned.

"Why the fuck are you on my floor?"

"Why the fuck did you kick me in the ribs?"

"Why—," You started, but the pounding in your head had got to an agonising level. "Just, wait," You said, willing your limbs to move. You hoisted yourself off the floor, clutching the counter as you made your way to the sink. You didn't even grab a glass, you shoved your mouth under the faucet and turned it on, letting water dribble from your mouth as you inhaled it into your system.

Your mouth started to feel normal again, after several large gulps of that fresh New York tap water. You breathed in and out, trying to ease the nausea, before you turned to oversee the rest of the apartment—

Remnants of cups and glasses littered the room, bare vinyl records sat by the record player, Benny was bundled up next to your bed, a pained expression still on his face, and in the centre of the room—

"Is that... my father's chess board?" You stuttered out.

Benny looked up at you, confusion littering his eyes. "You got it out. We played,"

"We played?" You said, trying desperately to remember what had happened, but nothing was coming up.

"Do you seriously not remember?" He said, and you sent him a frown. Benny got himself up, stretching his arms over his head, his abdomen just visible as his t-shirt rode up his chest. His hair was tussled, his face pale, his eyes glassy--

You didn't realise you were staring until he locked eyes with you once more. You acted as if you hadn't just been gawking, turning groggily towards the coffee pot.