the 1800s gossip girl - bridgerton s1

BRIDGERTON SEASON 1

Disclaimer: SPOILER ALERT. Make sure you've seen the series before reading this. And if you don't care, well then I suppose you should just carry on.

The Plot

Although I've never seen Gossip Girl, I can imagine this show is quite like it

Although I've never seen Gossip Girl, I can imagine this show is quite like it. The only difference being that it's set in the 1800s. The story is set during the courting season and it's told through Lady Whistledown, who's this anonymous author who reports on the biggest gossips and scandals in town. And because people back then just didn't have anything better to do, they absolutely loved it except when the scandal relates back to them. But surprise, surprise, the main plot of the show is actually Daphne and Simon's romance. An Enemies-to-Lovers trope. They didn't get along in the beginning, started doing this thing called conversing, and then fell the fuck in love. Who would've thought? And yes, there were conflicts in the middle, which I just thought was really dumb. Miscommunication, really? They just decided to go with oh right it's because neither of them clearly communicated what they felt. Especially Simon. She's your wife, just tell her. Jesus, men in this show and their goddamn egos. I do have to say that I do think there's chemistry between Daphne and Simon, but they just don't seem like the right match. Their views on things are just so different, I kinda wish they were just friends instead. I also didn't really like the ending. Oh, so suddenly after like one conversation, Simon has changed his mind and wanted kids. I want to see the progress of him figuring it out, not just an all of a sudden thing, because having a kid is not something you can take back.

The Characters

DAPHNE BRIDGERTONWhat do I even say about Daphne? I mean, she's a lovely girl, don't get me wrong, but isn't like forcing Simon to, umm, impregnate her without consent, just

DAPHNE BRIDGERTON
What do I even say about Daphne? I mean, she's a lovely girl, don't get me wrong, but isn't like forcing Simon to, umm, impregnate her without consent, just... wrong? But then I guess this does make sense for her character because she has just been exposed to this completely different world and everything's changing so fast and she feels the need to have a sense of control over something. Not saying it's justified, just saying it makes sense for her character development. And I think that scene where she declares that all three pigs tied in that race showed just how disconnected she is with the outside world. Other than that, well, Daphne is just the picture perfect daughter. She fits into the societal norms, she wants to get married, she wants to have children. And when she heard about Colin's scandal, she rushed back without a doubt to help her family, which is one aspect of her personality that I really liked.