7

"More black rocks." Rapunzel sighed and knelt in front of one. "Oh, Varian, where did you go? Where are you now?"

Eugene came over to her. "Blondie, hey, someone spotted a crazy black rock structure not too far from here."

She looked up at him. "A structure?" She got up. "Where?"

"C'mon, let's go back to the carriage and we'll head that way." Eugene nodded to it. "Cassandra's already waiting for us."

She smiled and kissed his cheek. "Let's not keep her waiting, then." She got up and hurried to the carriage. "Come on, Eugene!"

--

They pulled up outside a strange and large structure made of the black rocks. Rapunzel got out and walked up to the rocks, placing her hand against it. "Varian...did you make this?" She breathed.

She gasped and jumped back in alarm when it suddenly opened up. "What the?"

"Ahh, what a beautiful—whoa!" A man with dark skin stepped out and gaped at her. "Beautiful..."

"Lance!" Eugene ran over and hugged him. "Hey, buddy!"

"Flynn? Hey, look at you!" Lance looked him up and down. "No, really, look at you. All cleaned up. Are those new boots? Who'd you steal this outfit from?"

Rapunzel looked past him and gasped, walking over to look inside. "Varian?"

Varian, now human and dressed in some unfamiliar clothes, looking up at her with a startled expression. "Rapunzel? What are you doing here?"

"That's what I'm asking!" She ran forward and hugged him. "I've been looking for you ever since you disappeared from the castle we went to rescue you from!"

"Oh, uhm, I broke myself out." He picked up a black staff. "Indestructible." He waved it a bit and grinned.

"Well, why are you here?" Rapunzel asked.

"I'm supposed to go to a place called 'Corona', but I'm not sure why." Varian admitted. "My mentor is a bit...cryptic."

"Well, why don't you come back with us, then? We're from Corona!" She smiled. "In fact, I am the princess of Corona!"

"Flynn, did you kidnap the princess of Corona?" Lance hissed.

"Uh, no. I'm dating the princess of Corona. Also, my criminal days are behind me." Eugene said proudly.

"Oh, really? Well, maybe you should pay back The Baron before you think about going straight, man. Because—"

Varian suddenly gasped and ran forward, swiping his hand out. Black rocks sprouted out and blocked arrows that were heading right for them. "Lance!"

"Right! Into the shelter!" Lance grabbed Eugene and pulled him in.

"Hold on, what's going on here?!" Cassandra ran over to them, drawing her sword.

"Varian, can you handle these guys okay?" Lance asked.

"As long as everyone is in the shelter—and now there's more people." He groaned and swung his staff around. "Alright, then. We'll do it this way."

"Lance, are you making a kid fight for you?" Eugene asked as Cassandra, Varian and the guards faced off against the thugs surrounding them.

"He can fight, I can't. Or at least he has that spooky life-drainy thing." Lance said, looking out at the battle.

"I'm going out there, too!" Rapunzel said, pulling her hair loose and grabbing her frying pan to join the battle.

"So..." Lance stared as even the horse joined the battle. "Do you just let her fight for you, or what?"