24

Eugene grunted as he was shoved into the cell with Demanitus. "Cass!" He ran to the door, but it was slammed in his face. "Cass, come on! You can't really be alright with this?! What about your dad?!"

Andrew wrapped an arm around Cassandra. "Come on, Cassandra. We've got a celebration party to attend." He led her away.

"Cass!" Eugene cried.

"They won't listen."

He looked over and gasped, seeing Varian's father, now human, also in the dungeon with them. "Quirin? What...why..."

"Because I dared to try to talk Varian out of his plans." Quirin said grimly. "That 'Madam Tiri' of his has completely twisted him.

"The demon Zhan Tiri is good at that." Demanitus said grimly. "She took my three students and turned them against me the same way."

"I thought she was an imaginary friend, and he was so lonely, so I didn't discourage it. Now, it's too late to save him." Quirin shook his head. "He plans to destroy Corona."

Eugene looked at his cuffs and struggled to break them. "Uuuugh, rats!" He fell back on his butt. "Stupid black rocks!"

"Horace?"

"There's no 'Horace' here." Eugene looked over. "Who said that, anyway?"

A man looked out at him. "Horace...my son..."

"It's Eugene. And, based on what he said earlier, I'm guessing you're the king of this dump?" Eugene gestured with his fingers to their current location.

"I was...unprepared. He attacked right after I regained my legs." He coughed. "I need water...it's been too long..."

"What?" Eugene frowned.

"I'm still a Mer, son." He coughed again. "I'm just...I have legs now and can breathe outside of water. But I'm growing weak without it."

"HEY!" Eugene called. "HEY, SOMEONE! VARIAN!"

To his shock, the door actually opened and Varian walked in and went to his cell. "Yes?"

"Did you hear me from up there?" Eugene asked.

"No, I was coming down here, anyway." He walked over to the King's cell. "You're going to die at this rate. It's time you begged for forgiveness."

"Never." The King spat.

"Fine." Varian walked away from him, then pulled out a bottle and offered it to his father. "Here, water."

Quirin accepted it silently and drank it. Varian walked away from him and paused by Eugene's cell. "If you don't want to watch him die, you'll convince him to apologize for locking me in a cage." He walked on, then paused and looked at Demanitus. "Oh. Madam Tiri wants to see you." He walked over and unlocked the door.

"Wait." Demanitus stepped back. "I'm in a borrowed body."

"So?" Varian raised an eyebrow, opening it.

"So, I don't want her to hurt it." He stepped back again.

"Then you should've thought of that before coming to fight in it." He held out a hand and Demanitus gasped as the black-rock cuffs on his wrists dragged him out of the cell.

"Varian!" Eugene ran for the door, but black rocks blocked his way. "Please, let me be with Rapunzel! Please!"

Varian paused and looked at him. "Tell you what: Swear fealty to me, and you can be her guard."

"I...what?" Eugene breathed.

"You heard me." He started to shut the door.

"Varian!" He cried.

"I'll come by later." He dragged the old man out with him.

--

Rapunzel glared sullenly at Varian as he sat on his throne in view of her. She was still in her armor, still in the throne room, exactly where he'd defeated her. Varian was talking quietly with his favorite people, Zhan Tiri and Lance, and laughing at some joke one of them told.

"Varian..."

He looked over at her. "Yes, princess?"

"Let. Me. Go." She gripped the bars of her cage.

"Mmm...no." He shook his head and she gasped as black rocks bound her feet to the floor. "I don't think I will."

"I'll break out!" She insisted.

"My dear Sun, you couldn't beat me when you weren't weakened from lack of food." He waved the cupcake in his hand tauntingly. "You think you can beat me now?"

"When are we going to Corona?" Zhan Tiri asked eagerly.

"Soon. I want them to panic a little when they realize their precious little princess hasn't come home yet." He cackled a bit and Zhan Tiri laughed.

Lance, Rapunzel noticed, wasn't laughing. At least she knew he wasn't a sadist, even if he wouldn't fight Varian.

"Varian!" She gripped the bars tighter.

Varian looked over and sighed heavily. "Give us the room."

Zhan Tiri and Lance headed out of the room, leaving Varian and Rapunzel alone. Varian walked over and knelt in front of her cage. "Yes, princess?"

"Why are you doing this? You got what you wanted. She's free." Rapunzel glared up at him.

"I will put an end to Corona's deceptions and build New Saporia on its ashes." Varian said calmly, then reached out and cupped her cheek. "Don't worry, princess. I won't kill you. You'll come with me to watch the destruction and then we'll return here to the Dark Kingdom where you will serve me."

"I will do no such thing." She said with a scowl. "I won't let you hurt my people!"

He stood up and walked back to his throne. "Then you should've put more effort into the fight."

"What?" Rapunzel frowned.

"Chanting? Really? Did you think you could beat my black rocks with your chanted spell?" He scoffed. "And I thought I was naïve."

"I didn't want to hurt you..." She said softly.

"And that's why you lost. Because I have no problems with hurting you." He took a bite of his cupcake. "Mmm..."

She glared out at him. "Yes...I'm starting to get that."

It just wasn't fair! She never asked for destiny to make her life so terrible! Being kidnapped shortly after birth, raised to be used by someone she thought was her mother, and now forced to fight this boy and be used to free his mentor... "It's not fair..."

"If you feel that way, then break out." He smirked at her and got up to walked over to her. He knelt in front of her and offered her one of the cupcakes he hadn't eaten yet. "Here."

She glared at him but accepted the gift. He nodded and walked back to his throne. "What do you mean by 'serve you'?" She asked.

"Not sure. Might be too risky to have you be my guard. Might make you do housework; I hear you're great at that." He cackled a bit.

She bit her lip and then started to eat. She needed to regain her strength. She needed to fight back.

It had already been three days since she lost, after all...

--

Queen Arianna walked to the window, worry etched in her face. Rapunzel had been gone so long...and she had such a bad feeling...

"Varian..." She whispered. "What have you done?"

King Fredric walked up to her and she turned to him. "Any word?"

He shook his head. "No."

She clung to him. "Oh, Fredric. I'm so worried about her..."

"Me too." Fredric held her tightly.