31

"So much for going early." Eugene said, showing Rapunzel one of the many notices that had been put out. "He's making a show of it."

Rapunzel sighed. "Of course, he is. It's just more of the same song. Another verse in the ballad of our destiny." She walked over to the window, staring towards the direction of the castle.

"He's given me a chance to win
And I have to do it."

"We're singing again, huh?" Eugene remarked.

"He's waiting for me within;
Do I even dare?"

Rapunzel closed her eyes, gripping her chest.

"Him and me, final fight;
Destiny is waiting.
Should I?"

She opened her eyes, her expression determined.

"Yes.
For, I know."

She used her hair to lower down to the ground and Eugene headed for the trapdoor to follow her out. He found her on the ground, kneeling in the grass.

"I know the grass, the dirt.
Just like I dreamed they'd be."

She brushed her hair behind her ears as the wind blew through her hair and clothes.

"I know the summer breeze,
The way it blows through me."

She slowly stood up, clenching her fists.

"And if I lose this fight,
I will NEVER be free!"

She took a run through the woods and Eugene followed her.

"I won't be
Running,
Or racing,
Or dancing,
Or chasing.
I must win.
I can't lose.
I'll face him!
I have to!
I'll fight him.
I'll beat him!
And finally, I'll see..."

She stopped on top of a hill they could see the castle, black and imposing, from a distance, and threw her hands in the air.

"That's when my life beeeeeegiiiiiiins!"

Eugene waited for her to stop singing and then cleared his throat. "Well, I'm sure he heard that. Let's go back into hiding."

"Oh, right." She got down and followed him back to the tower.

--

The days leading up to the battle was abuzz with excitement. Rapunzel practiced her magic, but she knew she couldn't practice the one spell that mattered and so mouthed the words to herself to make sure she didn't forget them. And yet...she knew she wouldn't. It was part of her. A song bursting to come out, to be sung. A spell so dangerous Demanitus had told her to chant it, not sing it. She was afraid of it, but she knew she had no choice. Without it, she couldn't stand a chance against his black rocks.

Eugene kept her fed and made sure she took breaks to rest, and she saw him practicing with the sword. They both knew the battle ahead was the most important of their lives.

She kind of hoped that Varian would ensure no one had to fight but them, though.

The day of the battle, she stood in front of her bedroom and removed her dress before she put her armor on again, the wine whip appearing in her grip just like before. She then headed out to where Eugene was setting out breakfast.

"You can do this." He encouraged as she ate. "You're not afraid anymore."

"I wish that were true." She said softly. "It's not him I'm afraid of, but of what carnage the sundrop may cause when I use that spell."