15

The Spire was at the top of a mountain, and they got out of the carriage to look up at it. "So...how are we getting up there?" Lance asked.

Varian held out a hand to his side as he stepped back a few paces, before he started to sing.

"Crescent high above,
Evolving as you go."

Black rocks came out of the ground and started to stack together, forming stairs with railings that led up to the top of the cliff. He led them up it as he kept singing, forming it as he went.

"Raise what lies beneath,
And let the darkness grow."

"Whoa." Lance looked down as they followed him up.

"That's one way of doing it." Cassandra remarked as Varian continued to sing, the trio following him up as they went higher and higher.

"Bend it to my will.
Consume the sunlight's glow.
Rise into the sky,
And let the darkness grow.
Let darkness grow."

They stepped off the stairs at the top of the cliff and Varian's eyes and streak stopped glowing before he turned to them and grinned. "Ta-dah! We're here!"

They clapped and he bowed at the waist before turning on his heel and facing the Spire. "Now...let's see what this place has." He held out a hand and a black rock stabbed right through the door.

They walked in with ease, the black rocks smashing the rest of the door before he made them sick into the ground, and Varian approached a red-haired girl that was trembling against the wall.

"W-Who are you people?!" She cried. "What are you doing in the Spire?!"

"We're looking for something." Varian said pleasantly, holding out his hands to activate Cassandra's and Andrew's armor. "And we're not leaving until we have it. Where is the Demanitus scroll?"

She shook her head. "Why would I give it to yo—ooooooh!" She backed up against the wall when Cassandra held her sword at her neck. "This...this is illegal!"

Varian raised an eyebrow, then turned to walk off to look around. "Get the information from her. I don't care what you have to do." He told his knights. "Lance, come on."

Lance looked back at the girl before following Varian further into the Spire. "Uh...wow. Look at this place."

"Let's get looking." Varian said cheerfully.

--

Rapunzel stopped the carriage next to Varian's and got out with Eugene and her mother. "...What...?" She looked up at the tall staircase made of black rocks. "...Looks like he's already up there." She nodded firmly and started up the stairs.

"Wait, is this safe?" Eugene asked as Queen Arianna followed her up.

"If you have doubts, you can remain down here." Arianna said as she and Rapunzel continued on.

"...I'm coming." Eugene started up the steps. "I just think this whole thing screams of another trap."

"Varian's already taken all he's going to from me." Rapunzel replied. "I'm ready to face whatever he's got set up for me this time." She was still feeling bitter about him using her kidnapper against her.

They made their way up and she cringed as she saw the black rocks around and sticking out of the building. "...Right." She walked through the broken door and looked around. "Varian?!" She called, walking in further. "Varian, where are you?!"

"Well, here comes the sun!" Varian greeted, stepping out of the shadows. "Three days late." He held up a piece of parchment. "This is the Demanitus Scroll." He walked over to Rapunzel, who gripped her frying pan. "Relax, princess." He held out the parchment. "There are four pieces to this. The one here, two in the Dark Kingdom, and a fourth hidden by Demanitus somewhere my mentor can't find it. Once altogether, it will unlock another ability for you. And then we'll fight fairly."