Modern Pattikadu 1 - Meeting

"Seekram ponna kootitu vaanga!"  (Quickly bring the girl!)

Slowly a girl emerges into the living rooms holding a coffee tray, with her amma (mom) and chitti (aunty) on both her sides.

Thenmozhi was draped in a beautiful vadamalli (a purple flower) color saree, adorned with a simple jumki and necklace set, but the most alluring ornament she wore was her soft smile

Thenmozhi was draped in a beautiful vadamalli (a purple flower) color saree, adorned with a simple jumki and necklace set, but the most alluring ornament she wore was her soft smile. Each one of her step was accompanied by the soft jingles of her valaiyil (bangles) and kolusu (anklets). Her hands were dyed bright red from the homemade marudhani (mehandi). The sweet fragrance of jasmine lingers around her.

In the living room, Rahul, the prospective groom, was sitting along with his parents, Thenmozhi's Appa (dad), and her chitapa (uncle). While his parents were admiring Thenmozhi, Rahul just stares blankly.

"Semma." He thinks to himself. "Kadaisila oru gramathu ponnu katti veika poraanga."

(Nice. In the end, they are going to marry me to a village girl.)

After serving everyone coffee, Thenmozhi sits on the chair, with her bowed slightly down.

Rahul's Amma- Ponnu photo la vida nerla romba azhaga iruka. Romba theruma saali nu kooda kelvi patturukom. (She is more beautiful in real life compared to the photo. We also heard she is very talented.)

Thenmozhi's Appa- Aama aama. Enga ponnuku neraya kalai aarvam irukku. Yaen ma, neeyae sollu. (Yes yes. Our daughter is interested in arts. My dear, why don't you tell more?)

Thenmozhi- Parai ah oru varusham moraipadi kathuruken. Enga oorula vizhakulukku oru kuzhu va nigazhthirukom. Athu mattum illaama, mayilattam, karagattam, therukoothu, silambam lam kooda senjuruken. (I learned Parai properly for an year. As a group, we used to perform in our town for festivals. Not only that, I also know a little bit of mayilattam, karagattam, therukoothu, and silambam.)

Parai- Form of Drum Dance