Reading 'bout Yourself on a Plane - Matty Healy

A/N - Requested by the ever talented red___moon off the prompt list on tumblr~

Flights weren't really a high point in my life, ironically. The cruising part of the journey was fine, so were the cramped seats, hell, even the meals were okay. It was just the take-off and landing that sucked. Everything was just far too risky. All of the moving parts that had the chance of failing. I hated it with a burning passion. Which, in hindsight, maybe moving a plane's journey away from home was a bad idea. I should've anticipated that regular visits home would become a part of my agenda. But I was going to grin and bear this for the sake of my mother's birthday. It would be fine. I was sure it was going to be fine. Except that some dark-haired guy was blocking the way to my seat. He was currently kneeling on his own seat in the middle, talking to the three guys sat behind him.

"Excuse me," I started, catching his attention. He looked at me in surprise. "I've got that window seat." I said as I gestured to the seat to his right.

He glanced down at his seat, before quickly scrambling to his feet and moving to stand in the aisle. "Oh, sorry, sorry. Let me just-" He rambled as he shuffled past me. It was a mission to not be in his personal space with how close the person behind me was standing. Why were planes always so cramped?

"Thanks." I smiled politely as I squeezed into my seat.

"My pleasure." He grinned.

Once I had taken my seat, and tightened my belt to an uncomfortable degree, I finally felt like I could relax momentarily on this red-eye. But I was pretty quickly knocked out of my relaxation.

"Matty, did you grab the duty-free tequila?" I heard the voice behind my call out.

"No, I told Hann to grab it." The man next to me replied.

"That never happened." The voice scoffed.

The man, Matty, supposedly, was quick to jump back up in his seat to face the offending voice. "I definitely did! When they said over the announcements to pick up your purchases, I said to Hann 'would you grab that for me?' " He said, waving his hands about for emphasis.

"You were sleeping against your suitcase and I had to kick you awake." Someone else chimed in.

"Yes, and then I asked him to grab the tequila." Matty said matter-of-factly.

"Are you telling me it's still at the gate?" Yet another voice asked.

"Fuck sake, Matty." Someone groaned.

"It's your fault!" He shouted. A flight attendant who happened to be walking past gave him a threatening look, making him sit back down in his seat properly.

It looked like they were getting ready to close the doors. Some woman took the aisle seat on the left-hand side of Matty. They were closing the overhead compartments. We would be departing soon. I tried my best to keep my nerves under control.

"My apologies for them." Matty said as he jabbed a thumb towards the three men sat behind us.

I looked at him for a moment, assessing the friendly smile on his face. "It's fine." I shrugged. "Why aren't you sitting with your friends?"

"Because they only allow three to a row." He said with a light laugh.

"Ah." I nodded, feeling like a dumbass for even asking. That was what I got for being so distracted by worrying about when we'd take-off. "Sorry that you got stuck here instead of with them." I added in an attempt to recover from my embarrassment.