Just You and I Tonight - Matty Healy

A/N - Another prompt? Another prompt. Requested by one of the best fanfic writers the world has ever known ​red___moon off the prompt list~

"Matty, I need a hand." I called out to my housemate as I rifled through my wardrobe.

"With what?" He shouted back. I heard his footsteps pad closer until his short curls popped up around my doorway.

"I have that date tonight, remember?" I answered.

"Ooooo." He cooed with a smirk as he sat down on the end of my bed.

"Can you just shut up and help me?" I said, rolling my eyes at his tone.

"What exactly do you need help with?" He asked.

"You know what guys are into-"

"I know what I'm into." He corrected.

"What am I meant to wear for this thing?" I sighed in exasperation. I'd spent the last half an hour trying to pick something decent and, in the end, decided to deflect the decision.

Matty nodded, looking like he was thinking about this for a second. "Where is he talking you?"

"I dunno, a restaurant." I shrugged. In all honesty, I wasn't overly excited about this date, which was probably why I was struggling to choose something to wear. But I felt bad saying no to this poor man when, for all intents and purposes, he ticked all the boxes of what I would usually look for. I just... wasn't feeling it.

"A fancy restaurant?" He asked.

"I think so." He actually hadn't told me where exactly we were going, but he seemed the type to go somewhere extravagant.

"Maybe like a nice dress, then?" He suggested.

"That seems like too much for a first date." I grimaced. "Especially considering I probably won't see him again." I added under my breath.

"A decent blouse, then..?" He said

"Hm. That'll do, I guess." I said with a nod, grabbing something off a hanger that I quite liked.

I ushered Matty out, quickly changing into the new outfit before stepping out into the main living area for his opinion. He looked up from his laptop as I walked in, giving me a once over before going back to whatever he was doing. "What's the weather meant to be like tonight?" He questioned.

I frowned, unsure where he was going with this, "Pretty cold." I said. "Why?"

"A jacket might be smart?" He recommended.

"Oh, yeah..." I muttered, glancing down at my short-sleeved blouse. "I don't think I really have a jacket that goes with this, though..."

"I might." He said instantly.

"You'd loan me one of your jackets?" I asked in surprise. Matty had a hell of a wardrobe these days - I was certain that many of the things on his hangers were worth more than my car.

"Yeah." He said with a shrug. His nonchalance about giving out something that cost so much made me envy his pay cheque.

"Aren't they all fancy and tailored?" I asked, already heading in the direction of his room.

He just chuckled lightly, "I'm sure you'll pull it off. Don't worry." He called after me.

As expected, his wardrobe was thoroughly impressive. The amount of ridiculous looking Gucci and Saint Laurent outfits in here was crazy. It was actually rather daunting trying to make a decision about what jacket to borrow, because the sheer amount of options was intimidating. After flicking through his hangers, I found a nice medium-length black jacket that would do the trick for keeping the cold out. It didn't quite fit when buttoned up fully, but having just the bottom button done up looked pretty decent. I made my way back into the living room, waiting for Matty to look up from his laptop before gesturing to the suit jacket. He stared at it for a long moment, before meeting my gaze again. It looked like the gears inside his head were turning, but nothing was coming out of his mouth. Matty didn't often have nothing to say. "What?" I asked. "Does it look shit?" I asked with a frown.

"No, like... It's just..." He raked a hand through his curls as he let out a huff of air. "I can't believe you're actually wearing my clothes." He seemed pretty worked up over this. I suddenly felt like maybe I should've checked the tag. Had I grabbed something stupidly expensive?

"So, it looks good?" I asked apprehensively.

"It looks insanely good." He nodded with a disbelieving laugh.

"Oh. Great. Hopefully the date goes-"

"Don't go out with that guy." He interrupted, shaking his head as he stood up.

"Huh? Why?" I watched as he stood up and crossed the room to stand in front of me.

"You're way too good for him." He scoffed, reaching out to straighten the lapel of the jacket, resting a hand just below my shoulder as he did so.

"Am I just?" I asked in surprise, finding myself laughing slightly. "Who do you propose I date then?"

"Me." He said simply.

His statement hung there for a second as I processed it. "What?" I could suddenly hear my heart rate hammering in my ears.

"Go on a date with me." He rephrased. My stomach dropped when he asked the full question.

"What?" How long had Matty been into me? Was this a recent thing or was it a thing when he suggested I move in? This brought up far too many questions.

"Please?" He asked hopefully. As I stared up at him, I couldn't help but feel like I wanted to say yes to him - and not just to be polite. This, this was the vibe that I had been missing with that other guy. This was why I hadn't been keen for the date. I just hadn't realised it was possible for me to get this feeling so close to home.

"You know what?" I started, trying to contain my grin. "Yeah." I nodded as he broke out into an eager smile. "Grab a coat."