The Only Apparatus Required for Happiness is Your Pain - Adam Hann

A/N - My very first time writing the lovely Adam. Request from @ghostlightqueen the prompt list ​on tumblr

This festival had been hot, humid and thus far, fairly dull. But I was holding my spot in the mosh for the set that I wanted to see. If I left now, I'd never get this close again. I wasn't gonna waste the last three hours that I had spent waiting for PUP. When they came out, I felt that familiar wave of excitement wash over me. The show was starting. It was starting. Holy fuck. I'd been dying for the last four months for this moment. As they started the first song, I went to throw my hand up when I suddenly felt it collide with something. I spun around to see that I did not have as much space behind me as what I thought I did, and also a man holding his nose.

"Shit, did I just hit you?" I gasped, slowly feeling the pain settle into my hand as the shock subsided.

"Uh, I think so." He mumbled. I noticed his hand starting to turn red.

"Is your nose broken??" I shouted over the music.

"Kind of feels like it, yep." He nodded.

I glanced at the stage briefly, really wanting to stay where I was - I hadn't seen any of Morbid Stuff live yet. But my heart sank as I saw this guy wince in pain. "Fuck, let me help you." I said as I grabbed his arm, trying to spot a clear path out of the mosh. It was a delicate balance to weave us through the crowd while at the same time trying to make sure this poor guy didn't get hurt any further.

I pulled us out and over to a set of toilet blocks nearby, hoping to at least have a better view of his injury when not surrounded by people. Now that we were in a less cramped environment, it was easier to take in what this dude actually looked like. He had bleached blonde hair, stubble littering his chin, and his green eyes were currently boring into mine as he awaited my verdict. He was pretty cute, minus the blood pouring out of his nose. I gently took his hand away, seeing that his nose has a definite bend in it.

"Is it bad?" He asked with an apprehensive expression.

"Yeah, I..." I started, pausing for a minute as I tried to evaluate the situation. "I don't think your nose is meant to look like that." I said, unable to stop myself from reaching out to touch it. He hissed in pain as soon as I did, and I pulled my hand back. "How the fuck are you still alive?" I mused to myself.

"It's a special talent of mine." He deadpanned as he went back to trying to hold his nose together.

"Here, let me-" I ran off for a second, ducking into one of the vacant stalls to grab a wad of toilet paper. "Use this, at least." I said as I held it out to him. He gave a grateful nod as he started trying to wipe the blood off of himself.

It was a pretty gruelling few minutes as I watched this man try to clean himself up with single ply toilet paper. I stared for a little bit before I finally felt the need to step in, because obviously I wasn't going back to the show at this point. "Should we get you to a first aid tent or something?" I asked, watching as he shoved some toilet paper up his nostrils.

"Um... probably." He agreed.

"God, I'm so sorry for this." I said, running a hand down my face in exasperation. "Definitely not an ideal way to be meeting someone."

"I'm Adam, by the way." He said as he went to offer out his hand for me to shake, before seeing it covered in half-dried blood and retracting it. I told him my name offhandedly, still rather focused on the way the toilet paper shoved up his nose was gradually turning red.

"Come on, let's go." I said as I grabbed his hand anyway and started trying to find the specific white tent I was after.

As soon as I spotted the first aid sign, I picked up the pace. The amount of blood this guy was currently losing probably wasn't ideal. The paramedic sat in the tent saw us from a few metres away, and once she saw the state of him, she quickly stood up and walked over to one side of the tent. When we walked in, she already had an ice pack in hand, ready to go.

"Got a broken nose over here." She called out over her shoulder as she began examining him. Another paramedic popped their head around the back of the tent before stepping over "His girlfriend brought him in." The first paramedic said to the one who had just walked over.

"Uh, not girlfriend." I corrected. "Only just met this dude."

"Adam." He reminded me.

The first paramedic shot me a curious glance, before continuing to tend to Adam's broken nose. I could hear the muffled noises of the stage in the distance, still half wishing I had kept my spot. But I did feel pretty guilty for accidentally punching this guy- Adam, square in the face. Even if it was accidental. "You should be right with a splint, mate." The second paramedic said as he wandered off to get some supplies.

"Do you need any pain relief?" The first chimed in.

"Yes, please." He nodded eagerly.

I waited around as they gathered their equipment and gave him some pills to swallow, just kind of awkwardly lingering.

"You can go, you know." Adam said quietly. I looked down at him sat on the makeshift hospital bed, staring at the ice pack he still had held against his nose. "But thank you for bringing me here." He added with a grin. For someone who had just had their nose broken by me, he seemed to be in pretty high spirits.

"I feel responsible, though." I groaned. "Again, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, really." He laughed.

"I must've ruined your day." I added, not really able to take his comment to heart.

"I'll live." He shrugged.

"Is there any way I can make it up to you?" I asked with a concerned frown.

"I dunno." He sighed, looking like he was thinking about it for a second. "Buy me a drink or something after this?" He suggested.

"I'm pretty sure I can manage that." I smiled, feeling a little bit of the guilt alleviate.