Part 1

Eren scrunched his nose at the foul smell of dog crap and animal feed filled his nostrils when the door opened. It was the only pet store the freezing small city had to offer, unless he wanted to drive for over an hour to go to a better location. And the heater in his car stopped working, so he knew this dump would be the only option. He heard the front door close behind him, and the lady at the checkout smiled up to him, brown curls bouncing. “Hello dear! Can I assist you at all?” she said brightly, getting Eren to shake his head. “Nah, I’m just looking around. Thanks though.” The woman let the conversation die after that as Eren took a look at all the animals behind the cages and glass.

He remembered why he was here in the first place as he came up to the small rodent section. College was currently kicking his ass, raising his stress levels more than he’s ever been before. Mikasa had called him only two days ago, saying she had read an article about pets and stress relief. She didn’t go too far into detail, but she did say that having some kind of pet can reduce lots of anger. After a long few moments of complaining, Eren had finally agreed on going to find a pet by the end of the week.

Sighing, Eren continued to look around the shop, grinning at one of the hamsters run on the wheel with its stubby legs going at a fast pace. He had to choose wisely, knowing he was going to be stuck with the animal until one of them passes away. Might as well choose one I can stand he thought.Next was a tiny selection of fish, mostly bettas and a few other brightly coloured ones. Eren never cared for fish, so he didn't stop to look at them for a second. Amphibians didn’t make the cut either. He wondered if he’d keep up the promise he made with his sister.

Eren made it to the back of the building, and his head turned to the right when a small mewl caught his attention. Behind a large window were three shorthaired kittens, curled up to each other on a pile of wool blankets for warmth. He moved closer to the glass, bending down to look at the little mound of fur. A tiny blond head with the ears pointing down peeked up from the bundle, it’s large eyes looking up to the human in front of them. It meowed, the little noise a bit muffled by the wall between them. Eren flashed a smile and waved at the little guy, finding them absolutely adorable.

While he wouldn’t say it to most people who knew him, Eren was a total sucker for cats. His mom always had one, and she cared for them everyday until her surprising death. The loss had hit him hard in the face, and he wouldn’t talk to anyone for months. But now, he could have one for his own if he wanted to. Nodding to himself, he ran up to the lady, who was now dropping food pellets into the gerbils cage. “Hey, are any of the cats back there up for sale?” he asked. “Of course they are! Come on back there and I’ll help you get one ready to go.” Eren followed her, for once excited about something other than not having homework. “We got them about two weeks ago, some older man dropped them off saying he just couldn’t afford keeping them. It’s a shame really…” the lady kept talking all the way there, though for once Eren didn’t seem to mind. Taking one of the keys from the lanyard around her neck, the door to the cage unlocked. She went in, giggling when she came up to the still curled up cats.

“Which one are you wanting then? They’re all super sweet!” she asked, looking up to Eren. he thought for a moment, giving all of them a quick look. “That one.” he pointed to the blond one with the folded ears in the middle of their group. She moved her hands carefully in between the other ones, grabbing the smallest cat from them. She also took a blanket from the cage, wrapping the little animal up in it. She walked back out and locked the door before placing the bundled up kitten to Eren. “There ya go! He’s all yours!” she said. “Lets get you some food for him and maybe a few toys, then you can be on your way.”

After everything had been chosen, Eren  walked back into the cold, a bag in one hand and his car keys and new friend in the other. He put the full bag in the backseat and placed the kitten in the passenger seat. The cat meowed a few times on the way home, and Eren decided that he could definitely get used to the cute sound he made.

Eren made it back to his apartment, going up a flight of stairs to the second floor with his hands still full. Warm air hit him and his cat as he unlocked the front door and opened it to get inside. His apartment was a absolute wreck; all kinds of school work, textbooks, dirty clothes and dishes laid around. It smelled like burned Hot Pockets (since that was one of the only things he could make). He dropped the bag by the needed to be cleaned kitchen counter, and took the kitten out of it's warm protection.

"Hey little guy." Eren smiled to him, sitting down on his stained couch with the cat in his lap. His response was another mewl, the felines tail slowly swaying behind him. "Guess I'm gonna have to name you, huh?" he told the cat, knowing he wouldn't actually get an answer.

Eren thought for a while, staring blankly at the simple white wall and crappy television in front of him. Eren groaned. "Shouldn't be the hard to chose a name for you..." he muttered as the kitten curled up on the brunette's thighs. Eren finally decided, looking down to the cats large blue eyes that were staring back up to him. "How about Armin? I think it kinda suits you." he told his pet, scratching the blonds head.

A soft pur came from the cats throat as Eren pet him. Hearing this made Eren continue, happy to see Armin already used to his new owner. It is a bit weird that he's so nice the first day though. Eren thought. Normally it takes a while to adjust. He shrugged it off almost instantly. Armin could just be a friendly cat in general, there's nothing wrong with that.

Or at least, that's what Eren believed.