Chapter 1 "Bittersweet"

A fierce wind howled through the castle, crackling with desperate screams and shouts. 

The Coven Leader stooped low, eyes glued to the stone floor. Torture beyond her imagination commencing just below them. Guards she knew personally, who she had trained with for years, now cruelly dragging information out of every last prisoner.

"I hear congratulations are in order, Lilith."

Her lips curled up into a smile, relieved that he was pleased. That he thought her mission a success. Yet, the guilt settling deep within her gut made it hard to breathe. The prisoners hadn't been armed. Just simple folk going about their daily lives when she lead the attack. They certainly didn't look or behave like criminals. In the Emperors Coven you grew wise. You quickly learn not to raise concerns or doubts. Especially against Belos' direct orders. It was a clear sign of weakness, misjudgement and mistrust. A lesson she had been taught the hard way. In her first week, in fact. The phantom pain of a harsh slap spread across her jaw. Conformity was key, there was no I, not anymore. Only us. More importantly, she couldn't risk it. Even if it didn't feel right. But it was all too convenient. Too easy.  

No one came to the villages aid, all too used to seeing bodies in the streets. 

"You may rise."

Her knees ached as she rose to her full height, hood slipping downwards with the sudden movement. Wild hair that had been hidden within her cloak bounced around her. Fiery curls glinting in the lowlight that streamed in from the high windows. The sun caught the stained glass, causing an array of soft colours to dance over Lilith's face. She couldn't help but marvel, who knew windows depicting such gruesome deaths could cast such a lovely light? 

 She bit down on her cheek, grimacing as her glasses jutted painfully against her hip. They had been smashed during the mission, crunched under many frantic feet. She shifted impatiently, heeled boots squelching with gore. A rancid smell emanated from her dress, it was damp with blood and sweat. Her nose wrinkled in disgust every time the heavy fabric rubbed against her skin. 

Emperor Belos had requested her presence right after the gruelling fight. Kikimora had been even more unbearable than usual. How she wanted to strangle the little nit. Her smooth voice had been tinged with smugness when she relayed the Emperors message to her. Sniggering at all the leaves and twigs tangled in her hair. The little imp even had the cheek to offer her a hairbrush. 

Her tongue ran along her teeth, lightly tracing the scars lining her cheeks. The irony taste coated her throat. Sweet and heady. It was intoxicatingly addictive.  

She bit down harder.

"You've climbed the ranks quicker than expected."

There was a pregnant pause. 

"Impressive." 

"Thank you, sir."

Lilith tilted her head down, ears twitching uncomfortably. It was best not to talk back, and to let him continue. The silence stretched. For the most feared man on the Isles he was surprisingly quiet. The first time Lilith met the Emperor she was a child. When he had spoken to her she had melted into a stuttering mess, barely able to string coherent sentences together. She was sure he thought her a fool. Probably still does. 

"How are you finding your new role?"

"Very fulfilling."