Chapter 4 "Sticks and Stones"

The metal doors slammed shut. A white light emanated through the cracks as it sealed itself closed. Details glossing over until it melted away completely, leaving behind a smooth stone wall. They were in an old interrogation chamber, buried deep underground. Much further down than most worms or moles would care to venture. Chairs and desks were carelessly scattered throughout the room. While rusted restraints dangled limply from the high ceiling. It hadn't been used in years, cobwebs and dust covered the place, air sour with damp. When Wild Witches roamed the Boiling Isles they were often brought down there to be tortured. It was a long time ago, when disorder and chaos was strife. In fact, this chamber shouldn't even exist anymore. It was supposed to have been demolished. Lilith wondered what else the Emperor had been hiding from the Coven. 

When Belos turned to face her she instantly realised that he knew.

The first time it happened wasn't so bad. Even if Lilith had cried herself to sleep, scratching relentlessly at the scabs covering her knuckles and fingers for days after. It was fine. Soapy water tinged with red flared in her mind. It turns out cleaning a festering wound was more painful than the cut itself. Anyways, she was his Empress. He was only doing it for her own good. And besides, she had learned her lesson. Loud and clear.

But, he knew she was lying.

Lilith noticed all the small tells. The way his voice lilted. Demeaning and cruel. How his stance dominated the entire room. The warning from last time rattled in her ears. She left him no choice. He was rightfully upset. She had let her emotions get in the way. Again. Her nails dug into the freshly healed scabs. Fingers itching to pick.

This would be her second chance. He shouldn't have even given her the first.

"So, you're telling me that the Owl Lady was near enough for you to obtain her ring but not her?"

"If I had more time-

"SILENCE! I'm getting bored of your excuses Lilith. You gave me your word months ago that you would capture her." 

"Emperor Belos please-

"Come here."

Lilith froze, eyes pleading. The roof of her mouth dried. She didn't dare swallow.

"I'm getting impatient."

The Emperor's footsteps were heavy and fast as he thundered towards her. Lilith shrank under his gaze.

Her newfound relationship with Edalyn was... complicated. They'd ran into each other on quite a few occasions. It was refreshing. Her sister hadn't treated her any differently from when they were children. It felt good, her worries didn't seem so serious when Eda was with her. Although, part of her knew she wasn't worthy of the treatment. She just wanted to pretend for a little while longer. Even if that meant purposefully neglecting to tell him. 

The Emperors thumb swiped along her lips.

"I expected better from you."

Metal singed through the cotton, burning straight into her shoulder. His glove snagged on the material, hand jerking over her arm. The heat was intense and stung dreadfully. A pit formed in her stomach, doubt clawing at the lining. A cold wave of sickness spilled over her.

"You're hurting me."

Her voice wavered as he shoved her back. The Emperor kept pushing her until she was pinned against a table. Lilith bore the full brunt of his weight. She didn't struggle this time. There was no point. It would be better to just get it over and done with. 

He grunted, forcing her into a chair. Restraints snapped around her wrists. Once secured he began to rip the collar of her dress, tearing at the seams to expose her bare back. Lilith shivered. In the middle of her shoulder blades were thick gashes. All of them long and wide, trailing down to her lower back. Criss crossing over and through one another like twisted vines. They oozed when he touched the reddened skin around them. Cuts opening and cracking as dried flakes fluttered from the action. His hand danced over her spine before harshly digging into the wounds. Deepening them to ensure they were permanent.