Chapter 3 "Mirror Mirror"

As it turns out it wasn't so easy to find someone. Especially when that person didn't want to be found.

It was two decades before Lilith saw Edalyn again. And in the last place she would have ever expected.

Polished fingernails scraped against the desk, etching small grooves into the wood. Her face flushed with anger and embarrassment. Lilith bent forward, fast hands attempting to untie her boot laces. She whispered curses under her breath. Eda had sneakily tied them together, in her final act of childish defiance. The knot was incredibly tight, but she tried her best to pick at it. Willing it to loosen. She let out a frustrated growl after it still wouldn't budge.

Couldn't Edalyn see?

Didn't she understand Lilith was only trying to help her?

Her sister had aged dreadfully. Her unruly hair was now grey, wrinkles creased around her eyes and mouth. Laugh lines, possibly. But the curse, it must be getting worse. The only thing that had remained the same were her eyes. Even after all these years they still twinkled with mischief and mirth. It had struck a chord within Lilith. It felt just like the last time, like she had missed out on growing up with Edalyn all over again.

"You make it so hard to want to help you Eda."

The golden compact on the desk shook, signalling someone was calling her. Kikimora instantly popped up before she had a chance to answer. As if her day couldn't get any worse.

"Lilith, I see you let the Owl Lady get the best of your temper."

"You would do well to remember your place."

Kikimora paused, glancing curiously at her before a knowing and pretentious look covered her face.

"Just remember what Emperor Belos has promised you."

Lilith groaned, she was impossible.

"I will capture her, the Emperor has my word."

"Very good. Oh and before you go, Emperor Belos wishes to see you tomorrow."

The lid clicked shut, call ended.

Her stomach had fallen when she first spotted her sister. She had been signing autographs at the time and had almost done a double take at the sight. Her hair had been stuffed into her cowl, which struggled to contain it all. The bustle around her had grown still and silent. The rush and colour of the Covention darkening until all she saw was Eda. Trying to slip away. Lilith wondered if the wrenching would ever stop. Everything seemed too slow. The whole encounter had left her quite ill. Like the citric sting of lemons they would squeeze as children to make potions and cakes with. That managed to niggle and work its way into every nick, no matter how small. The burn and nip always left her uneasy. Perhaps it was the nostalgia that was so sickening.

All those buried memories came floating back. Lilith realised you never truly forget someone when you're always hoping for them to come back. And those scattered memories meant everything to her. Sometimes it felt like the only thing she really had. The only thing she had any control over, that is.

Lilith knew she would see Eda again but she just didn't think it would be now. At the Covention of all places. Everything she had prepared, her big speech, a bone crushing hug. Her plan to finally fix everything and make it right. It all left her. She never accounted for how angry she might feel and how emotionally draining it would be too actually see her again.

So, Lilith gulped back regret even though her world felt completely scorched.

Like she couldn't inhale without smoke and ash filling her lungs. Leaving her chest cracked and hallow. She felt the secrets bubble up into her throat only to choke on them. Those secrets refused to leave her mouth. The phantom words so hauntingly close. The huge weight on her shoulders started to lift and she allowed relief to flood her instead. Because Eda was okay.