Chapter 2 "Lilac wine"

The flowers lay on the dresser. White lilies with a spray of baby's breath, tied up with a silken bow. It was a nauseating sight. Their once lush petals now curling from the summer heat. Already their stalks lay limp and lifeless. When she picked them up their heads whipped back, causing flakes of pollen to float around her room. Like dust that was yet to settle. Lilith doused them in water. However, reviving dead flowers were the least of her worries.

The wedding arrangements had all been made, and the knot was about to be tied as surely as a hangman's.

Marriage was something Lilith never expected. Not even when she was a little girl. The fantasy of it all tarnished by her very own parents. The once loving relationship had quickly turned volatile. Which meant lots of visits to their Grandfather. Growing up was hard on both sisters, a sense of responsibility falling on the eldest's shoulders. It was something she could never quite shake, not that she minded. All of her energy was put into looking after Eda, crushes and dates were useless to her. Even in her teens relationships were never her forte, that particular fire had been extinguished years ago. And all because of that horrid Grom. What ifs and what could've beens were pointless.

It was difficult helping her sister come to terms with the curse. Especially when she was the cause of all her suffering. Every memory after that night became tainted. So, she distanced herself. In truth, she was glad she left. Lilith didn't know how much longer she could've coped with seeing her sisters frustrated tears. Or hearing that strained voice that asked her over and over again, why all of this was happening to her. It was heartbreaking.

But she was going to put an end to it, and fix her grave mistake. 

Flat shoes padded down the aisle. A plethora of unnerving white masks turned sharply, gasps and whispers filling the hall. Vicious eyes watched her, waiting for her to slip up, to catch her out. A heavy blush crept down her neck, steps becoming brisker, she suddenly felt very exposed without her glasses to hide behind. 

Lilith held her flowers closer, fingers beginning to pick at the raw skin around her black nails. The young Coven Leader they all knew was gone. The bride that appeared before them was a stranger. Near unrecognisable, with sleek navy hair that had been slicked back and twisted into a low bun. Pearl studs shimmered in the candlelight, accentuating bright eyes and lashes that shined like freshly peeled fruits.

Under the moonlight she looked incredibly pale. Mysterious. Like one of her white lilies drowned underwater.

The dress was radiant, as though there was a light glowing deep from within. It had a modest neck and back, but left her arms completely bare and privy to the cool air. The breeze nipped at her, covering her in a layer of goosebumps. It didn't matter how hard she tried to rub heat back into her body, she remained cold and numb. Lilith was thankful the skirt was full enough to brush the floor, the plush material calming her nerves with every sway. Perhaps the best part of it all were the pockets, cleverly hidden within the many folds of fabric. It was a very practical but plain garment. She didn't really see the point in dressing up. It wasn't a proper wedding, at least not to her.

The ritual commenced as soon as she reached his side. She noted how he watched her, glowing eyes boring into her. Following her every move. They never left her once, she assumed it was a good sign, that he must be content with the change. 

Lilith's palm met freezing metal. Coldness seeped into her joints, the static pain jolting her. She shivered, face remaining neutral despite the shock. A strip of cloth was wound around their joined hands, bonding them together. A seal of sorts. There was no kiss, no tender vows, only the ritual spoken by Belos himself. His tone started off low, before gradually building and growing until it rumbled like thunder.