Prologue - For Tot

Hey, you.

I have so much to say and so little time. If your uncle did this correctly, then you should be turning 18 today. I barely even remember turning 18, let alone most birthdays. Even now, I'm finding my memory to be waning. My recollection comes and goes.

But I remember you. I'll always remember you. Everything I ever did be damned. You were my crowning achievement. The life I led before you came along? It exists in shards, black-and-white like the retro movies your uncle loves. You exist in my mind live, in living color. I hope you're having the life we dreamed for you.

I hope you know that love surrounds you everywhere you go. From us, from your uncles, from every person who's ever laid eyes on you. It's impossible not to love you, tot.

Enough of the sappy stuff- unless that's your thing? I don't really know, I'm shooting in the dark here.

Inside this envelope is a classic SHIELD transponder. I (unknowingly) wore it from 2015-2025. If you feel ready, and only if you want to, everything exists through it. The height of the life I lived before you existed lives on that tiny piece of metal. Your uncle should have given you the device you need to give the transponder a listen. Again, only if you want to. You may be happier leaving that part of me as a mystery. It's your decision.

It's time for me to go now. Take care of your siblings. I hope you're happy.

I love you for all that you are, all that you have been, and all that you are yet to be. You are so great, tot.

Happy Birthday,

Mom.

I folded the letter, my body numb. With a shaking hand, I pressed the glowing green play button on the old-fashioned radio.

Whirrrr.

Click.

"Begin Transcript: November 9th, 2015."