Chapter Fifteen - History

For the first time in a long time, August was pleased to wake with the sun on her face.

She sat up, running a hand through her still-damp, soft curls. Last night's shower had been one that she had waited for for far too long, with expensive soaps and conditioners to really scrub out all of the grime she had accumulated over the last 8 months. She had even gotten to shave. Luxurious.

August took a glance around the standard bunking room that Happy, Tony's assistant, had shown her to last night. A queen bed, multiple windows, and a security camera that monitored her every move. Homey.

She rose out of bed, padding across the floor to the dresser. The clothes inside were standard- another uniform, almost. A black sweater and a pair of leggings. She slipped into the bathroom and changed, tying her hair up into a droopy ponytail. She softly padded out of the room, into the main corridor of the compound.

"Ms. August," She looked up, seeing Happy approach her. "I was just coming to wake you. Tony's waiting for you in his office."

She looked around, cocking an eyebrow.

"Riley?"

"Tony thought it best that the two of you be interviewed separately."

August nodded, following after Happy as he turned down the hall.

"I think that's for the best, too." She murmured.

They made their way through the winding halls, up a flight of stairs and onto the 4th floor. She quickly paced after Happy, occasionally rubbing her still-sore jaw.

Happy slid open the door for her. She stepped in, the office mostly dark, only illuminated by the faint blue lights of holographic faces.

"August." Tony greeted. He stood up, pulling a chair out for her. "Please, take a seat. These guys were just wrapping up."

He flicked on the light, effectively ending his broadcast with the holographic faces. Six of them blinked away, leaving only two very familiar faces staring at her.

"August," Her sister, Agent Haze, nodded at her, smiling through the blue light. "It's good to see you."

"Can we get started, Mr. Stark?" Agent Ross adjusted his tie, his hand flickering in and out of frame. "I've got a lunch meeting coming up."

August sank into the chair, looking across the table, and tried not to be startled when she found an astonishingly pretty teenage girl staring back at her. Dressed in a ribbed pink gray tank top, shorts, and an oversized flannel, the girl fiddled with her pin-straight black hair. August had never been one to pay much attention to a persons eyes, but she could not help but briefly gaze at the bright golden irises that stared back at her, which popped brightly against her tan skin.

"August, you know Secretary Ross and Agent Haze. They're the overhead on this case. No active combat for you, don't worry." As if just remembering that she was there, he held his hand out towards the girl. "This is Pasha."

"Your...ward?" August asked, looking up at him. Pasha cleared her throat.

"As of now, yes." Her voice had a strange accent to it that August could not place. "Tony was kind enough to take me in a few years back."

"Please state your full names and birth dates for the record." Secretary Ross interrupted. August tried not to shoot him a look.

"Pasha Renata Crow. September 9th, 2001." The teenager shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"Summer Eliza Haze." August crossed her legs, folding her hands in her lap. "January 9th, 1967."

"Where were you each born?"