BONUS - Family Affair

Snow never fell in Wakanda.

It was a southernmost country, with a relentless sun and an endless jungle. Like Florida, but without the meth addicts and rage-filled elderly women. In the winter times, the days were nearly perfect - Wakanda was cool and the air was crisp, and the sun gently warmed the clearing where August and Bucky had made their home.

But on Christmas Eve, August found that she missed New York. In her heart, Christmas was meant to be a snowy holiday, with twinkling lights and snowmen and a cozy fireplace. And although they had the tree set up, with presents piling underneath, August still longed for the snow, just as she had every year. 

"Honey, ah, a little help?"

His voice snapped her out of her fantasy. She looked over, her brow furrowing as she noticed how Bucky had his metal hands tangled in their daughters thick curls, an embarrassed look on his face. 

"Oh!" August gasped. She set aside her coffee, reaching over from her spot on the couch and gently untangling his fingers from Hayes' hair. She shook her head, a bemused smile growing on her face. "Buck, remember. Three strands, just a repetition of over and under."

"Over and under," Bucky nodded, taking Hayes' hair back from out of August's hands. His face scrunched with concentration, slowly tucking the strands under each other as he struggled to complete the braid. 

Hayes was completely oblivious to this, her eyes locked on the TV screen in front of them, fixated on the colorful characters that danced along the screen. The lights bounced off of her impossibly dark eyes, and August tucked a stray curl back into the braid. 

"Decent?" Bucky asked, showing the braid to August. She cracked a smile.

"You're getting better. Soon enough you'll even be able to braid RJ's hair."

Bucky pulled a face. "You really think RJ would ever wear a braid?"

"He's six. I don't think he cares too much-"

The front door burst open. August and Bucky both looked up, grins breaking over their faces as the familiar figures came into view. 

"Carter!" Hayes shot to her feet, bolting away from her parents as she slammed into her youngest Rogers' cousin. The twenty-something laughed, scooping the seven-year-old up off of her feet and twirling her around. 

"Ah, my little monster! You've gotten so big!" His blue eyes twinkled as he twirled her. She laughed along, her long braid swishing in the air as they whirled about the entry way, her feet swinging limply. 

Sam Wilson narrowly avoided getting smacked by the duo as he stepped around them, giving August a grin. She stood as quickly as she could, stepping over to him and wrapping him in a hug. 

She turned, still sticking close by Sam's side, as Carter set Hayes back down on her feet. August gave him a polite smile, cocking her head. 

"The army managed to give you up for Christmas?"

"What can I say?" Carter ran a hand through his sandy blonde hair, sporting a toothy smile. August still could not shake how weird his existence was. When Steve had decided to stay with Peggy back in the 50's, he had raised three boys, all of whom claimed that August had been like an aunt to them for their entire lives. But August had no real memory of the boys until she had met them in 2021- different timelines, and all that. "My CO took a liking to me and let me take a few days. Found out where everyone was headed for the holiday and decided to join. Why? Upset to see me?"

"Not at all," August shook her head, stepping forward and wrapping him in a hug. "It's always a pleasure, Carter. Where are your brothers?"

"Sami is helping Dad get the presents out of the car. James is, well...he figured it was best that he didn't come. Anume, and all."