Ch 19

“Don’t worry. The King and I have a good relationship.”

“…Really?”

“Yes. You can try asking the others if you’re doubtful. I’ve been having quite a few meals with him as of late.” I shed a virtual tear upon realizing just how ridiculous I sounded as I spoke...To think I’d ever boast of my friendship with someone just because they agreed to eat with me…

Sir Moize actually took that surprisingly well, seeming slightly thoughtful even, “To think you’re now able to have a meal with him… It looks like the relationship between you two really has improved.”

It appeared as though his rant was finally going to end, but…I knew that wouldn’t be the case. Situations like this never end when you want it to. Sure enough, he continued with renewed vigor, “But this is still a matter of much concern. If you don’t get an heir, your position as Queen would be in danger, and this danger might extend to Cronenberg as well.”

It was understandable that Abigail’s parents and Sir Moize would be worried.

After all, Cronenberg was an incredibly weak country compared to Nergen. But, honestly…

Do you actually think I can pop out a child just because I want to, you fool? Sabelian doesn’t love me, nor do I, him. And last I heard, making a child is a co-op game, not singleplayer! Granted, I have never actually wanted one to begin with, so the thought of not conceiving a child is more than welcome in my head. Sir Moize became a little suspicious when he found that I had not responded to him. “You’re still not being hated by him, are you?”

“Of course not. We’re on very good terms together.”

“Really?”

“Really.” I decided to push through with the power of sheer bullheadedness. It wasn’t like he’d be able to say otherwise anyway. What’s important right now is…bluffing! Just like how I did every thanksgiving!

Sir Moize stared at me for a moment before putting up a smile, “So I’ll finally be able to see you two dance.”

Eh? Wait a second. Sir Moize’s eyes instantly turned sharp when I couldn’t answer him immediately. “Could it be…you were lying about the relationship?”

“O-of course you’ll be able to see us dance. Why would I lie?”

“I see. Then I’ll be looking forward to it.” Indeed, Sir Moize looked incredibly happy.

Oh dear, oh dear. I think I just dug myself a very deep grave.

***

Sabelian felt a strange chill run down his neck. At the same time, he felt a tiny itch on his right ear, making him scratch it subconsciously.

“Is something wrong, Your Majesty?”

“It’s nothing. I just felt cold for a second.” Sabelian replied as he entered the garden. Millard followed closely behind him. It was a little warm, but perfect weather for a walk, regardless. Come to think of it, Blanche and Abigail had been taking walks together here as well. He did see them once. It was a sight he would never have imagined seeing just half a year ago.

“It seems you’ve been on good terms with the queen recently.” Millard interrupted his thoughts, sounding annoyed. Sabelian found himself pausing in his step for a second, “I’m just eating with her every once in a while. Plus, you were happy that I would be eating with Blanche as well, if you recall.”

Millard sighed. “It’s good that you’re getting close with the princess, but…I still find it difficult to trust the queen.” As a knight of the royal family, his top priority was always the safety of Sabelian and Blanche.