Ch 5

I'm Only a Stepmother, but My Daughter is Just so Cute! Chapter 5
Chapter 5.

Even by modern standards, the design looked quite…bold. To think I’d see something like that in this era… The dress used quite a number of different colored silks: Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. The design looked like it was meant to resemble a rainbow. Aside from the garish color combination, the shape of the dress itself was quite something to behold. The puffs on the shoulders were big enough to hide watermelons inside them, and the neckline had a massive amount of fur on the trim, enough to look like the mane of a lion. The designer said this was the dress was all the rage right now, but I think he just came here to get rid of his unsellable trash….

Miss Jeremie the responded, “This one seems good.”

What?! I almost burst into the room in a fit of rage. You’re actually thinking of making Blanche wear something that atrocious? If Blanche wears something as horrendous as that…! She’d still be lovely! Yes. Blanche was adorable no matter what she wore. Perhaps Miss Jeremie was aware of that and that’s the reason she purchased it? Or maybe Blanche is into rainbows? Tastes can vary wildly from person to person.

I took a look at Blanche’s reaction. Ah, her feet completely stopped moving. Her once happy face distorted into one of dread. She reminded me of a puppy I raised in the past. It used to make that face when I took it to the vet after telling it we were going for a walk… Blanche looked exactly like that puppy right now. That face… made my heart palpitate! Sob, Blanche, you really don’t like that dress, do you?!

Blanche stared blankly at the dress for a bit before saying, “U-um…. Miss Jeremie.”

“What’s wrong, Princess?” Miss Jeremie smiled. But her smile seemed rather strict, in a way.

Blanche flinched away after looking at Miss Jeremie’s face. “I-it’s nothing…”

Miss Jeremie gave Blanche another smile before talking with the designer again. Hmm… That was strange. Has Miss Jeremie really been that clueless this whole time? The woman started picking more and more dresses without a moment’s hesitation. Ugh… I want to pick dresses for Blanche, too! I wonder what kind of dresses would look good on Blanche? And what style of dress she likes?

….Hmm? Style? I felt something was off for a second. What style of dress did Blanche like?

She didn’t saying anything as Miss Jeremie continued selecting dresses. All she did was stare agape after looking at the rainbow dress. Was she leaving everything to Miss Jeremie because she didn’t feel like picking them out herself? No, that didn’t seem to be the case. She looked extremely shocked when she saw the rainbow dress, but periodically when the designer pulled out a new dress, her eyes lit up.

And then, the designer took out his last dress. I didn’t miss how much Blanche’s eyes sparkled at that moment. It was a bright pink dress, more cute than beautiful. And seeing the patterns of flowers embroidered all over it, it really fit the season. The designer smiled brightly, “This dress too, is very popular right now. What do you think, Miss Jeremie?”

Miss Jeremie took a short look at the dress, then waved it away in dismissal. “Such a dress would not suit the princess. We’ll go on with the dresses I selected earlier.”

“Understood. I’ll get to work on those dresses today, then.” The designer got to work organizing the dresses back into their boxes.

Blanche stared down at the floor looking depressed. N-no! My poor little Blanche! Her precious dresses are going to be…! I couldn’t just stand there and watch. If the designer got sent off now, Blanche would look like a clown all spring!