Ch 2

I'm Only a Stepmother, but My Daughter is Just so Cute! Chapter 2
Ugh… I wanted to improve my relationship with Blanche… But to accomplish that, I needed to start by atoning for all of Abigail’s past sins. Almost as proof of that, Blanche didn’t actually accept my apology. She just kept glancing at me periodically with a very confused look on her face.

It’s not like I didn’t understand. And it’s not like I thought she’d just accept my apology right off the bat. However, I apologized for now at least. But it’s like they say, actions speak louder than words, time to focus on that from now on. The right action now would probably be for me to send the girl back at this point. She must be feeling too nervous to stay here any longer. “I must have surprised you. I’m sorry, Blanche. You may go rest now.”

“Oh? Ah, yes, of course….” Looking lost in thought, Blanche finally gained enough composure to stand up. But just as she was giving her farewell and leaving the room, “Kyah!” Blanche bumped into someone entering the room, and ended up falling on the floor as a result.

“B-Blanche!” I found myself shouting her name in surprise. I wanted to help her up, but I had to stop myself when I saw the man who bumped into her. He had black hair just like Blanche, and looked to be in his mid-twenties. The first time I saw him, I was reminded of a single picture from an exhibit I attended at one point in my life; a black leopard. I remember being completely fixated on it, from its fur that looked velvety and regal, to the aura of power and pride emanating from a mere picture. I couldn’t look away from its eyes despite my fear, and ended up staring at it for quite some time; I was completely charmed by the beast.

The man in front of me greatly resembled that leopard; beautiful, charming, and regal in nature. Even the little beauty mark next to his right eye served to make him look even more charming than he already was. Any other woman would blush when faced with a man like this, but I just about hurled several insults upon seeing him before I caught myself. This man is the king, Blanche’s father, and also my husband. Sabelian Friedkin. A man who is my sworn enemy.

All the maids and the servants bowed in his presence. I, too, needed to greet him properly, but there was something more important I had to take care of first. “Are you hurt anywhere, Blanche?” I quickly helped Blanche back to her feet while listening to Sabelian’s voice behind me.

“She lacks awareness of her surroundings.”

Before I could get a word out, his icey voice cut me off. Sabelian viewed his daughter as one might a stranger. His gaze was… indifferent, devoid of any compassion or worry. I didn’t understand how a parent could look at their own child that way. Especially a child as beautiful as Blanche.

But Blanche didn’t even cry. She calmly corrected her posture before properly greeting the king. “My apologies, Father. I’m sorry you had to bear witness to this, Miss Abigail.”

Wait, why are you apologizing? All you did was fall down… And that’s when I noticed something wrong. “Blanche, are you all right?” I carefully held her right arm in my hand, which caused the girl to flinch in pain. Ah, it’s as I feared… No wonder she was babying her right side, she must have injured herself earlier when she fell. “You’ve injured your wrist…”

“Ah, uh. I’m… fine. Really, I’m fine…” Blanche quickly hid her right hand from me, acting as if she got caught doing something wrong. Her gaze immediately went to Sabelian in fear. Seeing Blanche so tormented hurt me inside. She didn’t even cry after she fell…

Sabelian opened his mouth, all the while maintaining his cold voice. “I’ll summon a doctor for you. You may take your leave, Blanche. I have something to discuss with Abigail.”