Chapter XXXII

-Dantalion-

Things were becoming hazy. Ariel had told him that his eyes had turned from black to grey. He didn't doubt it, since it seemed to match the changes in his vision. Before, he'd only had difficulty seeing objects in the distance or trying to distinguish details. Now, he was having a harder time seeing Ariel, and that devastated him. Ariel was the most beautiful thing he'd ever laid eyes on. It was almost unbearable that he couldn't see him as clearly.

He took Ariel's hand and led him away from the other angels. "Can we go to the pine forest?" he asked. "We haven't been there in a while and I've always liked it."

"Of course," Ariel replied, a smile brightening his face. "Whatever you want."

It didn't take long to fly there from the tropical forests. When they landed and began to walk through the trees, he led Ariel to a spot under a large pine. The ground was littered with pine needles, but the dirt, so dark it was almost black, was soft enough to sit on comfortably.

"Let me look at you," he said quietly, scooting closer to Ariel and turning Ariel's body to face him. He wanted to memorize every detail of Ariel's face. His fingers traced over Ariel's brow bone, brushing against his eyelashes as he moved down to Ariel's nose. He ran his fingers over Ariel's cheek and down to his angular jawline before he leaned down and kissed Ariel's jaw. His lips moved lower to Ariel's neck and he heard a moan leave Ariel's lips. He threaded his hands through Ariel's hair and kissed him, deeply as he could without his teeth hurting Ariel.

Pushing Ariel onto his back, he pulled at the cloth tied around Ariel's hips. "I want to see all of you," he whispered. He ran his hands up Ariel's legs, kissed each of his fingertips, and trailed kisses across his shoulders and down his chest. He wanted to remember Ariel's body, perfect as a finely carved sculpture, and the desire in Ariel's eyes as his hands and lips explored every inch of Ariel's skin.

Even if he wouldn't be able to see Ariel, he'd be able to smell and hear and feel him. He could sense Ariel, even if Ariel was behind a tree or hadn't rounded the corner into their room yet. Perhaps this was what it was like to have a soulmate, to be so deeply connected to another that he could feel him always.

He took Ariel into his mouth, focusing on Ariel's breathing and sliding a hand up to Ariel's chest to feel the quick beating of his heart. His senses were flooded with Ariel, and at the end, he looked up and locked onto Ariel's beautiful blue gaze.

"Let me," Ariel said, as soon as he recovered and sat up. Ariel leaned over him, pushing him onto his back and trailing his lips down Dante's chest the same way Dante had done to him.

-

Afterwards, they strolled through the forest holding hands. He breathed deeply, smelling the pines.

"You know, we could bring some pine boughs back to Heaven," Ariel offered. "The scent is pleasing."

"It's one of my favorites, besides you."

Ariel smiled. "Let's gather some. We can bring back a few pine cones too."

They returned to Heaven before the rest of the angels and spent the time decorating their room, nestling the pine boughs into the wall of clouds.

"I don't know why I never thought of decorating," Ariel murmured.

"Heaven is beautiful all by itself. It's not a dark cave like Hell. My chamber there was more welcoming once I brought down fruit and plants from Earth."

Ariel stepped behind him and wrapped his arms around Dante's waist. "Speaking of things from Earth, I asked Jael to find some honeycombs for dessert. I know how much you enjoy honey."