Chapter VI

-Dantalion-

After he had finished his work for the day, he grabbed the angel's basket and snuck out of Hell. His friends had invited him to go angel hunting, but he made up an excuse about being tired. It was partially true - he had spent most of the night repairing the angel's basket and hadn't slept much.

He found he wasn't skilled at working with his hands, but he had managed to reshape the crushed basket and reinforce the areas where the original material had torn. It had been a lot of work, but he felt it was the least he could do for damaging the angel's wings and attacking him again yesterday.

As he flew near the forests, he worried that he wouldn't find the angel, or that he wouldn't be alone. They usually traveled in pairs or groups. But he was in luck - he finally spotted the blond angel sitting against a tall tree at the edge of a forest. This forest wasn't like the other ones he'd seen before. The trees were all the same shade of green, and they rose to the sky as dark spires. He liked it. He'd have to come back here.

When he landed, he noticed the angel wasn't startled, but he still looked at Dante warily. He supposed he deserved that. There was no reason for the angel to think he wouldn't suddenly attack again. He smiled, showing his razor sharp teeth. It clearly didn't have the intended comforting effect, as the angel now looked like he was ready to bolt.

"I come in peace," he called out. "I brought you something."

The angel got to his feet, and he held up the basket. "I know it's not the same as before, but it's sturdy, so you should be able to put fruit in it."

At first the angel didn't say anything. He looked stunned. Then, he stepped closer and took the basket. "You fixed my basket?"

"I thought it was the least I could do. You know, after your wings."

"Thank you," the angel said, running his hands over the repaired basket. "I hadn't gotten a replacement yet, so I appreciate this." He looked up. "I don't even know your name."

"Dante. Short for Dantalion."

"Dantalion," the angel repeated softly. His name sounded like a melody when the angel spoke it, and he found himself wanting to hear it again.

The angel smiled and stuck out his hand. "I'm Ariel."

He was surprised the angel had given his name. That had to be strictly prohibited and was probably a big risk for him.

He took the angel's hand and shook it. "Ariel. Do your friends call you Ari?"

"No one has ever called me Ari."

"Then it'll be my nickname for you."

He let go of Ariel's hand and looked around. The angel standing in front of him smelled like flowers, but everything else had a clean, sharp scent to it.

"What kind of forest is this?" he asked. "It's not like the pear trees or the other forest that I've seen you in."

"It's a pine forest. These are evergreen trees. I come here sometimes because it's a lot cooler, and it's usually quiet."

"And dark," he observed. "I like it."

"Yes, it seems more like your type of forest," Ariel said. "Do you want to walk around?"

Again, he was surprised at the angel's willingness to be around him. He nodded. It was finally a chance to explore a forest. This one seemed perfect for it, since no one would be able to spot them from above because the trees were so dense.

"There's not any fruit here," he pointed out.

"No. Pine trees don't grow fruit like the tropical trees do. Their seeds are different." Ariel bent down and picked up something from the ground, and then offered it to him.