Chapter 3

Watching Nathan this past year, she's grown increasingly attracted to him. He was always dressed well, wearing suits and ties that were pressed neatly. He always smelled high of cologne and was always clean-shaven. His hands and how not only did they look strong, but they felt strong too.

A knock on the door suddenly startles her.
She looks around like there was evidence of her thoughts laying around. "Come in."

It's Ned with a tray and a smile. "Here you go, Ma'am, I told the chef to add your raspberry lemonade just like you like."

Ned was a sweet man of his sixties. Having no one to talk to she made a lot of small talk with him. It lead to discussions about his kids and grandkids. It was sad because he didn't get to see them much.

"Thank you, Ned."

"I've heard you're not doing well. He hands her two pills. "Here, muscle relaxers."

"Yeah, a little sore." She takes it and Ned excuses himself.

She eats her breakfast, swallows her pills, and silently thanks god she doesn't have to walk.
Then Wanda Knocks lightly and enters. "Ma'am, phone for you."

"Hello." She answers.

"Hi, sweetie. How are you?." It was her mother. It was really hard speaking to her. It was really hard speaking to anyone in her family. It almost made her want to cry.
Hearing the love off her mother's voice compared to talking to no one will do that to you. She tells herself.

"I miss you, Mom." She mumbles softly.

"I miss you too, baby." Mariel's voice was filled with sorrow. She didn't want to send her daughter to get married. Once Sabrina agreed with her father it was two against one. She knew the guilt would have eaten her daughter alive had she not fulfilled her father's wishes. Sabrina was more stubborn than him and so it made no sense to protest.

"Mom, please don't cry." This is why they spoke weeks at a time. Her mother could barely get out a word.

"How is dad?"

It sounded like Mariel was clearing her stuffy nose and drying her wet eyes. "He's not getting any better, sleeping in his chair right now." She pauses "Your sister would like to talk to you."

"Hey sis...miss you. When are you coming home?" Gracie turned eighteen a few months ago and is going to start college soon. She thinks her sister is living a blessed life with a loving husband. It would break her heart to know the truth...

Mustering her most cheerful voice.
"Hi, I miss you too...And I don't know when."

"Come on Sabrina, Mom cries every time she hears your name. I know your husband is Mr.busy, but why can't you come alone?"

She has told her sister many lies over the past year but the truth was it hurts too much to see her father dying. She knew if she went there she wouldn't want to come back. "I'll think about it."

She talks to her sister for a few more minutes catching up on her life and then limps in her bathroom for a hot shower.

After getting out, her muscles felt less tense. The medication was definitely helping. She gets dressed and looks at her watch. It was only nine. The shelter doesn't open until eleven.
Feeling wobbly she rested herself back on the bed.
Not even a minute later there was a knock at her door. "Come in."