Chapter 2 - Misunderstandings

I sat there on the Karasuno gym floor taking a short break from volleyball practice. I grabbed my towel, wiping down all that sweat as I chugged down some water.

Ahh that feels good~ I thought

Lately, I haven't been feeling well. These feelings I have for Hinata are getting in the way of my focus on volleyball. But on the other hand, they're important and I can't just carelessly throw them away.

"Kageyama? What are you doing?" a voice asks. I glanced up to find my favorite tangerine staring curiously at me. I quickly turn away, feeling the heat slowly rise to my cheeks. "He looks cute..." I thought.

"None of your business," I replied.

I look back up at Hinata as I watch him frown before walking away. "Rude!" he says. "You're so cold!"

I feel a painful punch feeling in my gut. I didn't like the frown. It just doesn't suit him. He's supposed to smile wide and brightly, just like the sun.

I have to apologize.

I open my mouth to speak but immediately shut them tight. That pain in my heart kicked in again as I watched the interactions between Hinata and Yachi from afar.

"Hinata-san! Good job!" she said as she handed him his water.

"Thanks," he replied.

In incomprehensible language, Hinata excitedly continued to ramble on to Yachi about practice, describing how good the ball felt to be in his hands. She bobbed her head, agreeing with Hinata's statements, sharing the same excitement.

I don't understand how she could understand him. It's already been a few months since we became partners, yet I still have no idea what he's talking about. I just want to understand him better- like Yachi does...

But how do I do that if Yachi is all "buddy-buddy" with him?

Unconsciously, I got up and walked over to them. "Oi," I said. They both turn and face me, flinching.

A frightened expression quickly plastered on Yachi's face. "Eeep!" she squeaked, backing far away from me.

"Bakeyama! What are you doing? You scared her!" exclaimed Hinata, defending her.

What am I doing?

"What's wrong with you today?" questioned Hinata. "You have this dark and gloomy aura looming around you." He pretends to swat away my "invisible" aura.

In all seriousness, what was I doing? It was like my body moved on its own. I- I didn't mean to make her feel scared...

I bet it's all because of these stupid feelings.

I couldn't stand this anymore. Let's just apologize and move on.

"Umm... Yachi? I'm sorry," I said.

Suddenly, I felt a chill run up my spine. I turned around, scanning the room, later realizing everyone staring at me looking somehow shocked.

"Daichi, did you hear that?" I overheard Sugawara-senpai ask.

I heard Daichi-san reply, "Yea I definitely did."

I looked at them strangely before turning back, responding to Hinata's question. "I... I think I'm doing fine. Just... deep thoughts." I glanced at Hinata's bright ginger hair. Slowly, I lifted my arm to the top of Hinata's head. I hesitantly hover over the top of his head before deciding to ruffle his hair a bit. So fluffy.

I gave him a small smile, "See you back on the court."

I saw a snippet of his smile as I turned away. "Ok! I trust you!" he called out.