Chapter 4 - Jealousy

Covering his eyes, Hinata watched as the unsightly couple engaged in a passionate kiss, earning many cheers and whoops from his fellow peers.

"Way to go Tuskidude!" Bokuto shouted.

"Alright, Yamaguchi!" Sugawara shouted.

The couple flushed red, embarrassed but grateful for all the loving support and acceptance towards their relationship.

On the other hand, Yachi raced over to him, crying tears of joy. "Kageyama, it's all thanks to you that my ship finally sailed! How could I ever repay you?"

Kageyama stumbled back a bit, scrunching his eyebrows in confusion. "Uhhh... No problem? Happy to help?"

Kenma walked over to the flustered orange-head, seemingly unaffected by the commotion but was annoyed by the chattering commotion. "Shouyou," he said softly. "Do you want to head to the gym with me? It's a bit loud..."

Hinata uncovered his face. His eyes sparkling at the mention of the word 'gym'. He nodded eagerly, following the pudding head out of the cafe.

Kageyama didn't notice the disappearance of his favorite tangerine until Kuroo mentioned Kenma. "Ah, Kageyama? Have you seen Kenma? I can't seem to find him in the cafe."

"Oh, I don't think I've seen him," Kageyama said, recalling his memories. He then looked around the room, noticing the missing orange-head. "Now that you mentioned it, I don't see Hinata."

And then it clicked.

The possibility of Hinata and Kenma hanging out together were high.

****

"Kenma! Toss it to me!" Hinata shouted, ready to smash it.

Kenma tossed it to Hinata, effortlessly pinpointing it. Hinata closed his eyes and swung his arm, fully prepared to feel that ecstasy when he finally touches the ball-

However, it never came.

Landing on the ground, Hinata frowned, "What happened?"

Kenma sighed, "You missed the ball."

"Yea, I know, but why?"

"How are you going to hit the ball if you're closing your eyes?" Kenma asked, questioning the obvious to the clueless tangerine.

Hinata scrunched his face, trying to imagine how he would hit the ball if his eyes were closed. His frown deepened. He didn't know. It had always came so naturally to him, that he couldn't pinpoint the problem.

Hinata only knew one technique- his crazy quick attack. Or rather, it was Kageyama and his quick attack. Only Kageyama could toss him those 'perfect' tosses. Hinata and Kageyama had only and always practiced that one single technique. Clearly, there was no way Hinata could hit the ball Kenma set to him. It was simply impossible.

"I don't know," he responded. "It always came naturally. Kageyama always did it perfectly."

Kenma looked at him, shaking his head. "I'm not Kageyama. I could never be able to toss with such precision."

"But-"

"Let's work on your receives instead," Kenma suggested, changing the subject. Hinata complied, pouting as he marched to the other side of the court. He only wanted to practice his spikes, but it looks like he had to wait.

Tossing the ball lightly in the air, Kenma served it, floating over the net on Hinata's side. Hinata reacted quickly, already upfront with his feet shoulder-width apart, keeping his elbows straight and arms and wrists together. He presented his platform, wrapping his left hand around his right fist. He then squared his shoulders to his target, eyes glued on the ball.

The ball bounced off his forearms flying straight into his face, knocking him over. Kenma stood there wide-eyed, biting back a laugh before rushing to his aid. He knew Hinata was bad at receives, but not that bad.

"Are you okay?" he asked, approaching him. He stepped forward, suddenly stumbling on Hinata's leg. He gasped as he closed his eyes, bracing the fall.

Kenma slowly opened his eyes, surprised to find the hard ground rather soft and squishy. A voice groaned. "K-Kenma.." Hinata croaked. "Y-You're crushing me!"

Before the pudding head could do anything, the gym door slammed open, their hearts jumping out. Out appeared Kageyama, spotting the two "cuddling" in the distance.

Something within him snapped. Like a disease, he could feel the anger rise as it spread quickly throughout his body. He didn't understand why he was feeling like this. However, just seeing his favorite tangerine with someone else made him erupt, and Kenma was no exception.

He recalled the days before their practice match with Nekoma, remembering how excited Hinata was as he blabbed about meeting new volleyball players and how much it irked him when Hinata's eyes sparkled as he boasted about this so-called 'Kenma' dude.

"Kenma is so amazing!" he told the rest of the team. "I don't know what school he's from, but apparently he plays volleyball." He then turned to me, "Kageyama? Maybe you want to meet him someday? Kenma said he's the setter at his school." He continued to talk, Kenma this- Kenma that- Kenma- Oh Kageyama wanted to strangle the poor boy before he even met him. 

He angrily marched over to the entangled couple, picking Kenma up by the collar. "Who do you think you are?" he growled at the poor pudding-head. "Don't you dare go touching things that don't belong to you!"

Kenma stared at him wide-eyed, shocked, and offended. He was not going to back down this fight- not when someone falsely accused him. "HUH? Touch what? I don't see anything that belongs to you!"

Kuroo peaked around the door frame, watching the event unfold. "Oya?" he piqued in amusement.

"You're touching Hinata with your grimy little hands. He's mine, and not for you to touch!"

The statement alone made the whole room fall silent. The words had spilled out of his mouth before he could even stop them. Kageyama's face contorted into a multitude of emotions; fear and shock being the main ones.

Kageyama was so shocked by his own statement. His feelings for the orange-head were apparent, there was no use denying it any further.

He began to internally punch himself for being so blatantly obvious. It was all going by too quickly. He hadn't planned to confess this early in his life- rather he actually wasn't going to confess at all. His heart was not mentally prepared. He hadn't even thought if Hinata even liked him back. Did he think of him as friends? Rivals? Teammates? Or lovers?

Now with the thought of rejection, Kageyama's mind began to spin- the world all hazy and dark. Poor Kageyama was about to crumble.