Chapter 5 - Confession

"Would you be my wonderful husband?" Kageyama questioned as he got on one knee and pulled out the most beautiful engagement ring that glistened in the sunlight. His orange tangerine lover began to sob, crying a river of tears.

He sniffed, smiling wide, "Of course, idiot!"

Um.. rewind.. Wrong time period!

10 years prior...

Poor Kageyama was a nervous wreck. He didn't mean to so openly confess his feelings to his tangerine. But seeing Kenma and Hinata together having fun made his heart tighten. He was so deeply afraid that one day he wouldn't mean anything to Hinata. He would be Hinata's high school setter and nothing more.

But Kageyama wanted more- he craved more. He simply couldn't bear to imagine a world without the tangerine, wishing to be by his side forevermore.

With his embarrassing "confession"/not-so confession, (or what Kageyama so calls it) he was positive that Hinata got the hint. Or so he believed...

"Kageyama.." Hinata said, dumbfounded. "What are you talking about? Kenma's hands aren't dirty. Why are you being mean to people?"

Kageyama felt an arrow pierce through him seriously wondering how big of an airhead poor Hinata was. The confession was obvious and should be easy to figure out but it seems like Hinata was simply built differently. Even Kenma realized it, his eyes growing wide as he pieced the puzzle together while wondering how the orange head was so oblivious. And Kuroo being him, hummed in amusement, mentally jotting this new information for future blackmailing purposes.

"Ahh... never mind Hinata," Kageyama said, sulking as he walked out.

Hinata tilts his head in confusion "Huh?"

Early the next morning Kageyama woke up, yawning in exhaustion. He trudged his body over to the bathroom needing to get ready. He looks at himself in the mirror- eye bags and slightly puffy eyes were visible.

Kageyama would never admit to anyone but last night he slept curled up in a ball, silently crying from his embarrassment earlier that day and from overthinking about the present and future standpoint of Hinata's relationship with him.

Suddenly an arm slinked over his shoulder. Groggily, he looked up only to find the Rooster Head from the Nekoma' team.

He smirked noticing the puffy eyes on Kageyama's face as he began to formulate his master plan. "Oya? Kageyama-kun? Why are your eyes puffy?"

He froze, catching him off guard. He was sure no one could notice them. Slowly he replied, "UH.... I.... I... have sand in my eyes," remembering the famous line many actors use as an excuse for not crying in TV shows.

But unfortunately this was training camp, not the beach. Where would you get sand?

Big brain Kuroo knew better than to fall for some cheap tricks. "Oh? Are you sure you weren't crying?", he teased. Kuroo pushed it even further. "Possibly about Hinata? You like Hinata don't you?"

Kageyama gulped. Kuroo had hit the nail right on. Kageyama quickly figured there was no way to keep it a secret anymore, especially knowing how perceptive Kuroo was.

Kageyama looked the other way, a small blush creeping up. He nodded slowly. "Y-yea. I like Hinata.." he mumbled.

"What? What did you say? I can't hear you? Speak up," Kuroo provoked.

"I like Hinata," he said a little louder, his face flushing a bit more.

"I still can't hear you. Louder!"