Chapter Forty [Rewritten]

-Chapter Forty-

"Look, I'm sorry, so can you please stop beating on my chest now?" Zoro grunted. "Alright, I get it! I'm shitty for just leaving you back there with the Marines!" he snapped the moment I slapped his face before Nami and Usopp finally dragged me off of him.

"Shitty marimo..." I angrily muttered, crossing my arms as my words seemed to have finally struck a chord in him and caused him to become frustrated the moment he stood.

"Come on now, don't start calling me that as well" he frowned, heaving an annoyed sigh as I childishly stuck my tongue out at him.

"Can't you two wait until we get inside to have your little lover's quarrel?" Nami huffed.

"It's not a lover's quarrel!" we automatically snapped back in embarrassment.

"Sure, whatever you say—just save it for once we're safe inside" she rolled her eyes, brushing us off before suddenly gaining a sly grin on her face. "Or better yet...makeup right now!" and with that, she shoved me straight toward Zoro. Stumbling into his chest, I felt him instantly grab hold of my arms in an attempt to halt my momentum and keep the both of us from following over again. Almost in an instant did my face become flush as I tentatively stared up at him with a small glare—eyes slowly starting to sting as I held back the tears that now wanted to fall the longer I stared up at him...

I wasn't even sure if they were tears of frustration or from how hurt I was the longer I thought about how he simply tossed me aside and made a break for it all in order to get away from that woman.

"Eh?" he frowned the moment he saw the glossy look in my eyes, instantly becoming concerned. "Are you really that upset about me leaving you behind that much or is this about something else?" he suddenly asked, his grip on my arms now loosing as a flash of something flicked through his eyes.

"I'm only upset about you leaving me behind—nothing else..." I muttered, quick to break eye contact as I flickered my gaze elsewhere.

"You sure?" he asked, leaning down a bit closer as he attempted to look at me.

"W-what are you trying to imply?" I frowned, leaning away from him as my brows furrowed in confusion at this sudden line of questioning.

"You know, I'm pretty sure I remember there being a bit of venom in your voice earlier when I was speaking with that woman...are you sure it's not because you're—"

"Don't you dare even think about finishing that sentence, Roronoa!"

"—Jealousy?" he grinned.

"W-why would I be jealous? In fact, w-what reason could I have to be jealous over some r-random woman I don't even know?!" I embarrassingly sputtered, blush only getting darker as the swordsman started to laugh. "Where would you even get such a crazy thought?!" I snapped.

"Oh, that's adorable" he suddenly cooed, wiping away an imaginary tear at the corner of his eye as he grinned down at me. There was this soft and almost nostalgic look in his eyes that only made my blush worsen as it now started to spread along my face and down my neck.

"S-shut up!" I sputtered out, burying my face into his chest as I couldn't bare to look at him any longer least I explode with embarrassment. He only chuckled as he comfortingly patted my back.

"There, you both feeling better now?" Nami grinned, crossing her arms as she listened to my muffled grumbling while Zoro only nodded.

"Uh...Luffy...?" Usopp suddenly questioned as our attention was now dragged away from each other and instead towards our screaming captain who was currently running right toward us.